In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

Page 2 of 5

A similar thing happened to a TV dealer in, as I recall, LaCrosse, Wisc. back in the '50s. An old farmer came into the TV and Appliance store and watched a TV for a while, but when the salesman tried to sell to him, the farmer replied, "It won't work at our house." Well, the salesman arranged for this elaborate demo, complete with trailer-mounted portable antenna, and, well, you know the rest...
"Ignoramus32056" wrote: (clip) 4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is an old trick. Chances are that ANY vacuum cleaner will pick up SOME dust after any other vacuum cleaner. This might be hard to demonstrate with your Sears, because the dust goes into a bag, where it is hard to find. But I'll bet the demo machine would pick up more dust after itself.
I used to see this method used to sell press wash to printers. Wash up the press with what you're using now. Then we'll wash it up with this "super-duper" press wash, and you'll see that we got off some ink that your stuff wouldn't touch.

the
your
A similar sales ploy was for a brand of salt that was mined rather than sea salt. The salesman would start his speial about how the pure salt was taken from deep in underground mines whereas the sea salt was salt water left in big ponds to evaporate with all the sea gulls flying over head and all of the fish guts tainting the flavor of the salt. He then would dip an apple wedge in his brand of salt and ask the prospect to taste. Salty apple. Then he would dip another apple wedge into the competitors salt and urge the prospect to taste. Since the first bite had loaded up the salt receptors in the prospect's mouth and their mind was filled with the vision of fish guts and seagull poop the second dose of salt tasted really foul.
--
Roger Shoaf
Or the one at the store. The guy was explaining the odor remover product, and how it did such a good job. He took a cloth, and squirted on some vinegar. And offered to let me smell. And then a squirt of his deodorizing stuff.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:48:34 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

I agree. Any vacuumm could get more dirt after any other vacuum.
I think there is an endless amount of dust in most carpets.
If we could harness this supply and burn it for electricity, we would solve our oil problem.
It has even bigger ramifications, because it shows that the theory that matter is neither created nor destroyed is incomplete.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000104040804020500010502 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

I put a hepa filter in a small shop vac. Talk about suck, I'll suck the nails out of the floor and still suck the water out of her rainbow. Come to think of it, that may be a good idea. Hook the hoses of 2 vacuum cleaners together and see which one sucks something from the other. Clear hose's with smoke in them would be a good test.
--------------000104040804020500010502 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="Omnipotent.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Omnipotent.vcf"
begin:vcard fn:Omnipotent n:Omnipotent adr:;;;;;;Heaven email;internet: snipped-for-privacy@heaven.org note:Ya though I say unto you. ye must kill all Muslims. Including men wemon and children. They shall be killed by the cutting off of their heads. x-mozilla-html:TRUE version:2.1 end:vcard
--------------000104040804020500010502--
Ignoramus32056 wrote:

We let the sales guy hold the cat while we tried to vaccuum it (He said the machine was good for reducing the dander,and it WAS his idea. The cat was not so enthused)
Once the bleeding stopped....
He spent another hour trying to sell us on the machine (Rainbow, too)
We had told him that he was wasting his time, but we were without other engagements, so offered to let him give his pitch.
At least he was not wasting someone elses time. :-)
Cheers Trevor Jones

If you want a good vacuum, go down to your friendly local janitorial supply and buy a commercial vac. You should be able to get a reconditioned one for a couple hundred bucks. Pick up a couple extra drive belts (you WILL get something stuck in the beater and burn one up every now and then...) It will last longer than you will...
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:13:09 -0700, Jerry Foster

Yes, when this Sears vacuum dies, I will buy something like an Oreck.
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:01:51 -0500, Ignoramus32056

Bissel used to make some of the Oreck's. Don't know if they still do or not but the Oreck is all about marketing too...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Jerry Foster wrote:

Agreed, or a secondhand Kirby, back when they were simple and light (before they succumbed to the disease of gadgetry and power driven this, that and the other thing.)
If you have allergies etc. then a HEPA filter might be worthwhile, otherwise probably not. I have to admit that once upon a time (in college, and unable to find a co-op job for the summer) I took a summer job selling vacuum cleaners and my experience was much like that of the guy that admitted to selling Rainbows. It was a good product but way overpriced and the marketing was very slim shady. The model I'm thinking of was a squat canister with a conical HEPA filter and it worked by throwing the dirt out to the side of the canister through centrifugal force rather than blowing the air directly through the filter. I can't remember now what it was actually called, or if they're still around, but I wouldn't recommend buying one simply because of the cost.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Apr 27, 9:27 am, Ignoramus32056 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM. 32056.invalid> wrote:

$150 worth of chink parts. Similar to Bose. Crap.
On Apr 27, 9:27 am, Ignoramus32056 <ignoramus32...@NOSPAM. 32056.invalid> wrote:

Typical vacuum salesman. I was recently visited by one. I like to string salespeople along while having no intention of buying (yes I am retired and it is an amusement). He demonstrated his machine (don't recall the name), vacuumed the entire carpet, then demonstrated the shampoo attachement by doing the carpet, repeat for other attachements. Then came the hard sell push. I resisted. He started at $17xx.00 (don't recall exaclty). Resist. After several cycles he was donw to $7xx.00 and made a 'final offer' that I had to accept without knowing what it was. No sale.
I found it mighty interesting to see the amount of commission he could make on one sale.
Harry K
Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the movie did the same thing.
I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL
Harry K wrote:

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:26:46 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to

Would that work with evangelists?

Nope, you have to show them the corpses of animals nailed to the walls etc instead.

Nar, MUCH better to nail previous evangelists and their children to the wall.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:43:52 GMT, "Larry and a Cat named Dub" <hdyman58
Stranglers tie collection with a name tag attached to each one....

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the front door..and wearing war paint and obviously trying to hide a dagger behind you as you answer the door..and asking them if they want to come in for the Sacrifice to Chluthu..generally puts them off their feed..... The Doors playing "This is the End" on the turntable with the bass cranked all the way up..was an additional kharma point....
You know..old ladies can really run pretty good if they want to.
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    "What may I kill for your god.." -- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)