In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

Most of them were 5 tubes but the Midwest ones advertized 8 and 10 tubes with dummies. And yes the chassis were at one side of the line so if pluged in the wrong way could be HOT. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Actually, I recall that the traditional term was "All-American Five". A decent circuit, although the simple power supply could be hum-prone.

BTW, I've had a Rainbow since 1978. It doesn't quite have the airflow of some brands, but is a quality product that does a fine job if one can tolerate the nuisance value of emptying the water tank each time the machine is used. Otherwise, evaporative corrosion will eventually eat away the motor guts. Obviously one should never buy it from the big-bucks door-to-door salesman, but with a little bit of luck it can be found at a non-jawdropping price. Last year I shipped mine half way across the country to have it rebuilt, not trusting my local shops to do a good job.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

I used to rebuild the motors for those Rex-Aire built vacuums. A neighbor was in the used vacuum cleaner business, and always needed motors. After a while I could tear them down and replace the bearings and brushes in 10 to 15 minutes, depending on what type of motor that brand used. He would give me a truckload of old motors at a time. :(

BTW Rex-Aire built a higher suction version, but it was recalled after a few people succeeded in pulling their carpet loose from the tack strips.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That sounds like just what is needed to suck the oily chips out of the T slots of a mill. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Thanks, got a good smile from this thought.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As long as they are smaller than a bowling ball. They could pick up a bowling ball, but it wouldn't go down the hose. Put a few drops of detergent in the water, and it will trap oily dust. A place was using one to clean up drops of mercury where they made thermometers fro several years. When the EPA found out they had to spend $30,000 on a replacement system hat didn't work as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

bet someone at the epa got a bribe for that.

Reply to
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Hehe... my ex used a Rainbow in an attempt to clean out the fireplace... once!

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

what a mess!!!

Reply to
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Not if you use enough detegent in the water. I've seen it done. It works with plaster & drywall dust, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell