Identify this piece of hardware

I haven't seen very many binaries posted here at all (if any). Your attachment got through on one of my computers and not on the other. Both use eternal-September. Looks like it was "moderated" out.
Common Usenet etiquette:
"Don't post "binaries" in non-binary groups. Binaries refer to non-text files, i.e. applications, images, etc. If you really feel the need to post a binary file, then find a newsgroup with the name "binary" in it, post it there, and then make a short announcement in the regular newsgroup as to where the binary posting can be found. WWW, FTP, and e-mail are better ways of distributing files."
http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html
On 1/8/2010 11:56 AM Master Betty spake thus:

That doesn't even make sense; how could it have been "moderated out" if you saw it on one computer? (Unless you saw it there before it was removed.)

- a Usenet "apology"

I've noticed the obvious spam gets posted then removed. So I was guessing that's what they did.
On 1/8/2010 6:05 PM Master Betty spake thus:

Well, that would make sense.
And to think that someone--an actual hoomin bean--goes through each and every posting in every newsgroup on their server. That's a hell of a job, dontcha think?
At least it's better customer service than I get from my ISP.

- a Usenet "apology"
<snip>

At least your ISP is still in business...ATT is pulling the plug on Worldnet; or so they say.
On 1/8/2010 6:49 PM Master Betty spake thus:

Well, that's another odd thing. My ISP is tiny and leases news service from other vendors. My news feed used to come from Verizon, and I remember seeing all kinds of postings here and elsewhere about how they were pulling the plug on Usenet. Well, I still get Usenet loud and clear. I'm not sure if my ISP went to another vendor or not (I guess if Verizon shut down, they must have), but I haven't heard squat about it.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 11:03:14 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I see the gif image.
I call it an eyelet. I have a number of lengths but the eye is the same on all. The threads are 14mm fine. Mine are to be used to mount threw the frame of a motorcycle and the sidecar mounts. They are used for the adjustment rod between the bike and sidecar to adjust the sidecar 2 degrees off perpendicular of the bike away from the sidecar. Tracking for the sidecar is a different adjustment.
I'll bet you didn't expect that answer. To keep within home repair, the bikes are in the garage. The garage door works perfectly.
-snip-

If you posted it again I didn't see it. I did see it the first time. Just for giggles- post it again-- only this time put it in the content of the post, not after the sig delimiter.

from my servers FAQ ; http://www.individual.net/faq.php "We use a program called "cleanfeed" however which functions as a filter against spam and binaries in discussion groups. Every article that arrives is examined by the program and removed from the server if necessary. "
It is common on all of the better newsfeeds.
Jim
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I saw it just fine with Thunderbird and Eternal September. The belligerents are correct about the good practice of posting pictures to a free image sharing website. It puts a lot less of a load on news server's bandwidth and makes it a lot easier on folks who have a slow connection. It's also better to show a link to a site than to quote the whole darn page. There is this one jerk who posts to some of the other groups I peruse who has an obnoxious signature that takes up a page or more that he attaches to every post he makes. The guy is one of the few people to occupy my kill file, not because of topic of his posts but because of his bandwidth hogging sig.
TDD
On 1/9/2010 1:21 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

OK, I follow you, but for chrissakes, you have to admit that my SMALL attached GIF (3K) is not going to impose any kind of burden on a news server's bandwidth. As someone else here pointed out, many TEXT posts exceed that size. (Like maybe your guy with the huge sig.)
I'm *not* advocating attaching 96K JPEGs to posts in text-only newsgroups ...

- a Usenet "apology"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Judge, "How many beers did you consume son?" Defendant, "Just a few 8oz beers your honor." Judge, "How many is a few?" Defendant, "Uh, 96 sir."
Your little 2.2k Gif image file really caused no problem for anyone. 2.2k is large for a text file and takes up a lot of space and bandwidth. If everyone decided that there was no harm in a little 2.2k image file, things could get rough for people with slow connections. The rules and conventions are there for a reason. I had a woman run a stop sign and hit the side of my car one day knocking me up on a concrete median. I asked the woman why she ran the stop sign? Her answer, "Everyone else does it."
TDD
On 1/9/2010 11:34 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

Well, as someone with a slow connection, I can address that issue. Attachments to newsgroup messages are not a problem, since 99% of news clients don't actually download a message (except for the subject, etc., headers) until one clicks on it. If a message takes too long to load for my liking, I can just cancel it and move on to another one.
But your other points re:beers and stop signs are well taken.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:11:22 -0800, David Nebenzahl

I guess you really ARE that dense.
On 1/9/2010 3:31 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

And how dense do you figure that is? Are you saying that a 3K GIF that's smaller than many TEXT ONLY postings is going to cause a major problem with anyone's news server? If not, please tell me how else this could possibly harm you, or anyone else for that matter.

- a Usenet "apology"

It leads to anarchy man! Next thing you know the Chinese will be busting your door down. Now you don't want that; do you?
On 1/9/2010 4:00 PM Master Betty spake thus:

Omigod, you're right! Can't let that happen. Better quit while I'm ahead, as my old dad used to say.

- a Usenet "apology"

Usenet tradition? I'm not objecting- just observing. I'd just as soon everyone started posting tiny pics and snipping text- maybe put a 100 line limit on posts. It would work for me. In 15 years of hanging out on Usenet yours is the first attachment I've seen. [except maybe for the first year when I had aol & a dial-up. Since then I've always had good news-servers, all of whom have kept text-only newsgroups text-only.]

T'ain't magic- most servers strip them or drop the post so it doesn't propagate. Individual.net is one of those servers. Might have been the size, or it be the way Thunderbird handles them.
Jim
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:45:12 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Generic name is just "Rod end". Zillions of varieties available. See, for example:
http://www.igus.com/igubal.asp?gclid=CN2asOHplJ8CFWpd5Qodem3NRg#rodends
HTH,
Paul F.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:45:12 -0800, David Nebenzahl

One of my cars came with 2 of those. I believe they are used for towing. There are 2 small round tabs in the plastic bumper. If you remove the tabs, you can insert these things and use them to pull the car.
This isn't a binary group. Pictures don't come through.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus