ICE MAKER ---> No Water - No Ice?????

We have a fairly new Roper fridge and we just finished tiling the kitchen. While we were working on the kitchen we had rolled the fridge in the dining room and had it running but no water hooked up. The old ice was left in the bin but we cleaned it out when we rolled it back. Hooked the water up and the water dispenser on the door worked but we couldn't get the ice maker to make ice.

UNIT INFO : Roper - RS22AQXKQ00 Door dispenser for ice and water Whirlpool dual valve - water side works fine - ice maker side doesn't cycle

Thought it might be the ice maker valve but it's a dual valve and the side of the water dispenser works fine. Picked up another valve but when I was looking at it, I decided to check the coil on the ice make side and found there was no power. So I started looking at the ice maker instead of the valve. Not much there and when I pulled the unit out, and put it back, the motor cycled once but the valve never got power. Not sure how this cycles, when it cycles, for how long or what the logic is for the valve.

So now my question is, what might the problem be? I was letting it set to see if something needed to reach temp or something before it cycled, but the ice tray is bone dry and the valve doesn't get power to the coil. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as we didn't realize how much we depended on the ice maker until it didn't work.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

I can say this because I've done it. Is the lever on the ice maker down? If its like most ice makers there is a wire lever that when down, will turn on the ice maker and as the ice bucket is filled it will raise with the amount of cubes in the tray and shut off when it gets full, ie, that lever is up or level. You say you emptied the ice cube bucket and to do this I'll be you have to lift that lever to get the bucket out.

: )

-John

Reply to
John

on 11/28/2009 1:39 PM (ET) infiniteMPG wrote the following:

I had this problem. I called the Sears repairman (under warranty). The repairman used a blow dryer to heat the area where the water comes into the icemaker. It turns out that if some ice is not removed from the icemaker when it gets full, or no cold drinking water is used, the water supply tube gets frozen because the water is not moving. He recommended removing some of the ice at regular intervals.

Reply to
willshak

The most common cause when a piercing type supply valve has been used is a failed valve.

That or the freeze up suggested by another poster.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

On Nov 29, 11:49=EF=BF=BDam, "Colbyt" wrot= e:

if the icemaker runs while no water is available the solenoid valve fails....

because its on too long waiting for water that doesnt come.

the valve overheats and is ruined.

always turn the icemakers wire trip lever too off if theres going to be no water.

interestingly the solenoid costs almost as much as a entire icemaker kit including valve.

if in doubt rice the kit

Reply to
hallerb

To make matters worse, the point where the line freezes up is near the top of the freezer. The valve is near the floor and the line going up isn't built to handle much pressure. So when the flow is blocked, that line bursts and leaves puddles on the floor.

Reply to
Bob