I spent a long time

Page 1 of 3
I spent a long time preparing and installing a US flag/pole and the associated lighting.
I also spent 7 years in the Navy.
I hate Clinton, I consider Kerry to be a traitor, and if asked should we have invaded Iraq I'll be the first to say yes.
But if this complete bullshit should ever alter the constitution - I'll rip down and burn every flag I see, after I burn the flag that draped my father's coffin.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050622/D8ASTK500.html

I don't often agree with Democrats, but this makes a lot of sense. See the quote below.
Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."
Yep, that pretty much sums it up, for me anyway.
Altering the constitution to protect the flag is about as clever as 'freedom fries'... IMO.
[snip]

Since you mention it, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC), who started the freedom fries thing, now regrets it, says the U.S. invaded Iraq with no justification, and has introduced legislation to begin withdrawing U.S. forces by autumn 2006:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5201041-103681,00.html
http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/2509767p-8913637c.html
[Apologies for adding to a very off-topic thread]
--
Luke
I spent 20 years in the Marines.

Is that your words or would you like the attribute the quote.
I might use it someday and I hate to steal other peoples quotes.
Colbyt
| | I spent 20 years in the Marines. | | I like Clinton, I consider George Bush to be a traitor and an evildoer, and | if asked should | we have invaded Iraq, I'll be the first to say NO, just as I said at the | time. | | No president in my lifetime has squandered as much money, ruined our | enviromental laws, screwed over the poor, and killed as many innocent people | as the Bush administration. | | The people of Nazi Germany were fooled in 1936, just as the Bush | administration is fooling half of America today. | | God bless our country, I hope we survive this bunch of criminals currently | in office. | |
That's why nobody ask your opinion. Idiot.

Well, burning the flag IS considered the proper way of disposing it.
But in any case, I think that congress is acting a bit foolishly
Gene wrote:

So what else is new?
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
Gene wrote:

Absolutely. This ought to be addressed by statute, not a constitutional amendment. You save that for basic concepts. The Constitution is the framework for all our laws.... it should not be a law itself.
This is inappropriate. Don't they have anything IMPORTANT to do?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

That's why the Founding Fathers wisely required the consent of three-fourths of the states, too, before amending the Constitution. There's much more common sense, and a lot less political posturing, in the state legislatures than in Congress.
--
Regards,
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:34:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You're joking, aren't you?!?
--
Luke
Luke wrote:

Hard to tell, but I'd say in general both traits are at least as prevalent and in many cases easily more so...although sense of the comparison is reversed in one case, you'll catch the drift, hopefully.

Regards,
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:49:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Many years working with several state legislatures, for one. Reading newspapers, for another.
--
Luke

And I'm sure that some state legislatures are much better (or worse) than others.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote: ...

True, just as some Congresses are better than others...but the blanket assertion that there's more "common sense" and less "political maneuvering" in State legislatures is just simply not defensible...
Actually, most representatives of both houses on both sides of the aise at both State and Federal levels have, on the whole, been "reasonable" and fairly impressive individuals <as individuals>, whether I've agreed w/ them or not. There are, of course, some that are simply "off-the-wall" in some sense or another, but, by and all, they're relatively few in number. It's combining them in packs and placing them in abnormal environments and poking them w/ sticks that causes much of the chaos... :)
imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

I didn't say "political maneuvering". I said "political posturing". Not the same thing at all. And I think that *is* defensible, when you consider the posturing that goes on all the time in Washington simply because they have a big stage to do it on.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Very little difference in the end, imo...altho I didn't intend to change the word, I stand by the conclusion--the level of apperent <posturing> is only reflective of the relative amount of coverage one sees. Spending <significant> time in the halls of any state legislature will soon convince one of the similarity in the environments and the species... :)