I Need Ideas For A Mailbox Flag

Ok, time for some creative design work.
I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.
http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg
My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox is mounted on a white wall.
On 2/23/14 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The flags on rural mailboxes are usually just a piece of plastic that latches in the upright position. There are plenty of pictures online. Those are usually under $10. One thought was a green/red light or sign. A local business has a sign for the UPS guy. It just says UPS NO or UPS YES.

Thanks, but I'm not looking for the standard plastic flag, $3.98 at Lowes. Beside, they usually lock at 90°. Due to the shape of the mailbox, I need something that rotates 180° Since I don't want it sticking out when down.
The light is a thought but I'd want something that the mail carrier can see but not something garish. I might look into that.
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 01:15:42 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Shucks. I was trying to think of something that says Bling.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bling&client=firefox-a&hs=HSn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_bUKU_biI8-lkQfH74CgDQ&ved AkQ_AUoAQ&biw50&bihr6
You sure?
http://cdn.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachments/f14/9783d1263948161-bling-handguns-ride-die.gif

This image should make it clear. The mailbox is fine but the red flag just doesn't look right.
http://www.bikehugger.com/images/blog/mailbox.jpg
On 2/23/2014 6:58 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

The red flag is good. Why over engineer it?
As to the UPS sign, about 8% of the male population is red green color blind.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

An important aspect of engineering is aesthetic design. The red flag may be "good" in many situations but it would not be aesthetically pleasing to my wife and I to have a red flag on a stainless steel mailbox. Black would work, but certainly not red.

My mail carrier is a woman.
On 02/23/2014 03:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I used a wall mounted mailbox I used a binder clip to hold outgoing mail. Worked great, and was low profile enough so that the lid would still close with it clipped on to the top edge of the open box.
Jon
On 2/23/14 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Another thing that came to mind is an antique bathroom door indicator. Maybe something with a green and/or red indicator would work.
In article

remove the leather "mail" replace it with a clear holder that you can slide something that says "no mail" on one side and "mail" on the other or just two different colors

Thanks but we bought because of the leather label. Choice was SS label or leather. The label stays.
In article

double sided leather with no mail on the other side?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Make a knob for it that will turn 90 degrees to show a color or label, or that will have an engraved line pointing to "yes" or "no".
How about a flip down marker attached on the bottom. To look like you want. A magnet to hold it up against the bottom when not needed? WW
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Ok, time for some creative design work.
I just installed this mailbox and now I need a flag for it.
http://site.comforthouse.com/yswimages/smallmailbox.jpg
My mail carrier (who says she really likes the new mailbox) said that if I just put a clothes pin on it the lid, she'll know that there's outgoing mail. I'd rather have something a bit nicer than a clothes pin. Over the past few years we've changed the door handles, light fixtures, house numbers and now the mailbox to brushed nickel/stainless steel. The mailbox is mounted on a white wall.

You know, your idea just sparked another idea. The idea of "hiding" the flag is brilliant.
In order to mount the mailbox on my siding, I had to use a spacer for the bottom bracket. That means there's a narrow gap behind the bottom half of the mail box. I could install a flag that slides out sideways, flat against the wall. A black flag against the white house.
I know the walking route that my mail carrier takes between my house and the neighbor's, so as long as the flag slides out from the left side of the mailbox, she'll see it easily.
I'm going to think about those 2 ideas and see which one I like better. Thanks!
On 2/25/14 4:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some cut.

Would hiding your indicator inside the box work? Maybe drill a hole or cut a slit in the bottom? Drop the indicator when you want the carrier to stop.

I'm not sure I want to put something inside the box, possibly creating an obstruction and making it harder for the mail carrier to place the mail inside. I guess I could install a false back, creating a smooth surface but that would take up real estate. It's certainly something to consider. Thanks.