I'm torn....

Page 1 of 2
getting ready to put up the lawn mower for the season. Some tell me to top it off with stabilized gas while others say drain the gas. Anyone have any actual insight to share?

draining the gas is cheaper

I was told by a Honda/Stihl dealer to use only premium gas in equipment because it doesn't contain ethanol and therefore wwon't spoil like regular gas YMMV
On 11/28/2012 5:38 PM, ChairMan wrote: ...

Well, good story but it ain't so...almost all premium is also E10.
Only a very few stations sell 100% gasoline and you can generally pick 'em out in a market by being quite a bit higher than the prevailing price.
There's only one in town here; he's running about 3.40 for regular while everywhere else is about 3.25 now...

They also advertise that they sell real gasoline. Sometimes they only have a pump or two with the real stuff.

On 11/28/2012 7:05 PM, dpb wrote:

We had a few selling non-ethanol but they gave up because so many people shop on price only. It cost them more at wholesale so they need to charge more.
Gasoline has been going bad, decades before ethanol. I vote for drain the gas, and run it dry. If it's stored indoors, that is.
I was told by a Honda/Stihl dealer to use only premium gas in equipment because it doesn't contain ethanol and therefore wwon't spoil like regular gas YMMV
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:18:22 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The last few engines I've had recommend against storing them dry. They recommend filling the tank before storage. I haven't had a problem in decades, though. One snow blower didn't like old gas but every other engine I've had gets over it.

Personally I've only had problems with 2 stroke engines. Lawn mowers with the typical B&S 4 stroke have never been a problem. YMMV.
On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 22:18:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

That one engine was the only one I've had that threw a hissy fit over old gas. I'd have to drain it down half way and add new gas, then put up with it sputtering until the old gas was flushed out. Every other engine gets along fine with the old stuff until it's blown out.
On 11/28/2012 6:38 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Unless you can find it someplace pretty much all gasoline is at least E10. A few area stations had non-ethanol blend but gave up because everyone seems to shop on price (wholesale ethanol is cheaper to buy).

Perhaps less common in premium gas, but there is no guarantee that hi-test or premium will not also contain ethanol.

Atleast some of the local Shell stations have it marked on the pumps that there is no ethanol in their high test gas. Makes it easy to determin at those stations.
I have started going there in the last year and it seems that my riding mower runs beter after 2 or 3 tanks full.
Not that it does any good, but I got in the habit of putting the Sta-bil in all the gas I use for the small engines around the house. Some of them are used weekly and some are only used once or twice a year.

Best way is to empty tank and then start it up and run the carb dry...
On 11/28/2012 6:06 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'd run it dry. Gas stability is not the only problem. It can evaporate in some carburetors gumming them up. Happened in my snow thrower a couple of years ago and gas was stabilized.
My Honda mower has a shut off valve so I can keep gas in the tank yet run dry. Don't know why all don't have this. Cheapskates probably don't want to spend the extra 25 cents it might cost to install.

One reason may be that on some engines the fuel tank is integrated into the design of the carburetor, and adding such a valve would not be practical without significant (more expensive) changes to the fuel system.

I use the opposing solution to what most are suggesting. I keep mine filled and use "seafoam", which I run through the carbs prior to storage. Been doing it for years with no problems. My machines usually start within a few pulls and some more instantly when it's time to use them again. They are stored in a cold shed in the southeast region of Michigan if that helps.

I would suggest draining the bowl if you got time. I tried to start snowblower on cold winter day. Had to remove ice cube in fuel bowl.
Greg

Pretty sure we did this last year.
After I suggested doing nothing, a lot of posters agreed.
Anyway, I do nothing. Last mowing was a month and a half ago. Starts every spring.
--
Dan Espen

I usually do nothing. I had a generator sitting outside which ran early summer. A month ago tested. Saw water entering fuel bowl. Saw dry tank with a lot of varnish. Saw fuel leaking out near bowl after fueling. No starty.
Greg