I'm tired of paying for disasters... Moral Hazard.....

Turtle, I posted the official FEMA application for assistance which clearly states that it can be used to fix homes. Please read it.

No, YOU are mixing them together. I'm saying if you want to live in high risk areas, pay for enough insurance to cover yourself instead of getting subsidies from the government when you get hit.

Reply to
Larry Bud

While I'm sorry for your loss, this doesn't preclude that many people don't take responsibility for living in high risk areas. Nobody if forcing you to live in the state, you're free to move anywhere you like.

Obviously you're emotional about this issue, but try to think clearly about it. You live in a high risk area. Florida has an AVERAGE elevation of about 100 feet above sea level. You get pounded year after year with tropical storms and hurricanes. You should know the risks, and you SHOULD be hit with high insurance rates because of the risk. If you can't afford it, move.

But for you to think that all the rest of us who take responsibility with either the proper insurance coverage or by moving to a lower risk area should be ready to hand cash over because of your stubborness, ignorance, stupidity, or gall, I'm sorry, but I've lost sympathy for you. I doubt you're an idiot. I'm sure you understand the risks, but you seem to have a "you owe me" attitude which I guess I'll never understand.

Reply to
Larry Bud

They might not have hurricane insurance, but people can buy insurance to cover this type of damage.

Make these people understand that this will be the last time they get federal handouts, that if they CHOOSE to be underinsured and live in a high risk area, the government isn't going to be there for them if they make another stupid decision to rebuild without proper insurance.

A flood planes are known areas by insurance companies. They've flooded in the past, and will flood again in the future. We KNOW this. Yet people rebuild, and somehow are SHOCKED that, egads, a RIVER actually flooded?

Reply to
Larry Bud
16 million taxpayers live here, a few thousand them will get a FEMA check. If we can stop sending money to Washington they can stop sending the small fraction of it we get back. Florida is a "donor" state paying a lot more in federal taxes than we receive.
Reply to
Greg

I thank you for nothing! I pay the same taxes as you do. Why don't _you_ move to another country and then you can whine about something else.

Reply to
TinMan1332

Everybody who pays taxes gets screwed over by this, except for the people who don't take responsibility and get enough insurance to cover their property.

Reply to
Larry Bud

How much is enough? Does it include motel expenses, lost wages (if my employer is out of biz)? In another day or two, I might prevail on the taxpayers of Georgia for use of their roads and shelters. Hope they don't mind :o)

Reply to
Norminn

There are times we have to help others. Nothing wrong with hat be it tax dollars or donation.

There are times that people have to help themselves. Build a house five feet from the ocean, take care of it yourself. Everyone knows the ocean can flood or have storm surges that destroy property in a place like that. Don't ask me for any help when it happens, and it will happen.

Fortunately, new building codes are helping.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There are still plenty of old houses that are built well. My 1963 house has a poured tie beam, doweled cells and straps (buried in the concrete) going over the trusses. Northern folks don't understand what they do when they build a house here. The reality is most of the "devastation" you see is trailers or houses with the (stapled) shingles ripped off. Of course there are houses built by northern builders who think they know all there is to know about building and the whole roof flies away.

Reply to
Greg

On 11 Sep 2004 03:25:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) scribbled this interesting note:

Just to address the stapled shingles point you raise...

Here in the Dallas area we get plenty of big thunderstorms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, etc. I don't mean small summer breezes of thirty or forty miles an hour. In about thirty years of using Paslode staples and pneumatic guns we've only had a hand full of times when we have had to replace blown off shingles. One time in particular I remember when every house but one on a street that had a tornado pass close by. Every house but one required some kind of roof repair. The one was one we installed. With staples. The house next door, also one of our installations, did require some repair. The wind turbines were removed by the storm. Installed new turbines and a few shingles that were removed by the turbines and all was right again as the rest of that roof also had no damage.

It isn't the choice of roof fastener that is of primary importance. It is the installation. Used properly, roofing nails installed by hand, pneumatic coil nail guns, or pneumatic staple guns, each method will perform well if installed well. Of course any method of installing fasteners will fail if a bunch of slugs are doing the job...

John Willis

I don't think there is any staple that meets the current Florida code. It is 6 nails per shingle.

Reply to
Greg

Christ, that's almost a preforated edge. like your checks!

I don't think shingles blow off a house because they weren't properly fastened. If the wind is strong enough to get under the shingle, it's only a matter of mechanics that the shingle will break off and blow away.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

On 11 Sep 2004 17:07:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) scribbled this interesting note:

When installers are being paid by the square, one way to make more money is to go faster. How does the installer go faster? Fewer fasteners per shingle.

Another factor is installer laziness. Badly placed fasteners or poorly maintained equipment also are sources for problems.

John Willis

That really gets down to how well the "self sealing" tabs work. Fortunately it is always hot enough here so they lay down and the goo is "gooy". They are supposed to put down a strip of cement on the edges of the roof to keep the "rip" from starting there. You are right that the quality ultimately depends on the installer. I did try to be a good homeowner, stay out of their way and keep the cold water coming, so my guys did a pretty good job.

Reply to
Greg

Our condo has mansards with flat roof between. Formerly concrete tile. Got elk laminated shingles, installed January. Lots were improperly nailed, and fell off. City changed installation/inspection requirements after our roof problems occurred. Now require glue under each tab on steep sections. Looks like crap. I don't know what cities typically do for in-process inspections, but they sure didn't look at the nailing. Roofer had expired license, according to the city paperwork. These shingles are laminated, with only half-inch overlap, so nailing 1/4" off the line makes a big difference.

Reply to
Norminn

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:50:28 GMT, Norminn scribbled this interesting note:

I seem to recall you mentioning this a while back. Yes, improper fastening makes a large difference no matter what kind you use!

John Willis

This is Turtle.

A lot of the Posters here are not versed in the Hurrican winds and what they can do. You being in Texas and also being in the Fla. , Alb., Miss., La., Ga., SC., NC., and Texas so called Hurrican Allie will see all the shingles blown off one side of the roof and not a shingle left to look at. A 200 M.P.H. + wind will skin a roof no matter what you fasten them with. Now a roofing tack on every square inch of the roof might do it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE