I'm tired of paying for disasters... Moral Hazard.....

Page 2 of 3
Steve B. wrote:

I don't think so. New construction (< 10 years) in Florida mandates roof-anchoring construction.

If that was actually done.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comcrap (RSMEINER) wrote in

It's supposed to be a key item checked by the inspectors. (I said "supposed",folks)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
JerryMouse wrote:

I think hurricane straps have been manditory for years on the gulf and southern atlantic coasts, but the builders didn't use them and the inspectors just winked. I have seen pictures from Florida where all the houses were flattened by a hurricane, except for one house that survived with only a few shingles missing. The house that survived was actually built to code by the homeowner.
Bob

Orlando and Orange county just came down hard(fired,actually,IIRC) on several home inspectors who failed to flunk homes that the straps were omitted or improperly secured(never nailed down).
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

And they help but they aren't the be all end all answer to the problem. They don't do a thing to help hold down the shingles and plywood (although the new codes require the plywood or particle board to be much better attached). If the wind is powerful enough the anchors will give or the wood will give. Either way the hurricane can win.
Steve B.
--WebTV-Mail-6966-1932 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
When Charley went through down in Sanibel Island and Captiva which was one island . Now because of Charley is 2 islands . There were brand new homes constructed by new codes for hurricae and wind damage , cement block homes etc. up above flood waters have been demolished by 125 to 145 mile winds. You can't buy a house dow ther for leass than 2 million bucks.
You really think your house would survive that. What about tornados that take houses to the next county.
Pat
--WebTV-Mail-6966-1932 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-6966-1932--

NORTH Captiva ... Different island. The part that washed out was a wetland anyway. No homes.
scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in

I suspect a hurricane would rip the roof right off your house. Current specs in Florida require metal straps to anchor the trusses to the walls.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Larry is correct in part, and the part he is correct in is the important part because it's the publicly unrecognized one. Fed disaster relief catches a lot of votes for the politicians involved all the way up the chain(and avoids vote losses if they were to speak sanely like Larry). The politics of disaster keeps the incorrect economic incentives in place. That's really no different than the way we fund public education however, in that the baby makers aren't 100% responsible for the costs, so they make too many babies. Come to think of it, I'd be surprised if the average person would incur 50% of the educ. costs if they had another child. The burden of disaster costs and its influence on location decisions might be angelic by public educ. standards.

Or immigrate illegally.Immigrant birthrates are far above citizen's BR's. The same is happening in medical care.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

But you miss the whole point of government. It's to share costs for the public good, which includes education of the young. Do you want to live in a society that fails to educate its young? Do you want to live in a society which fails to plan for public health crises such as pandemics? To you want to live in a society in which it is every man for himself? What happens to those who can't defend themselves, such as the young, the elderly, the infirm?
*My* elected "representatives" don't listen to a word I have to say about anything (like my request that they stop sending billions of *our* dollars to foreign governments, etc.)...
I suppose you could try contacting *your* elected representatives, but don't expect any action unless you are a large corporation which donates a lot of money to their re-election campaigns, etc...
Sorry, but they have possession of your check book and they will write any checks on your account they darn well please.
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

Because they have a CAREER as "representatives",instead of a temporary job. (no Term Limits)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

This is Turtle.
Larry , Before Flood insurance came along , the Federal government was repairing and replacing homes for nothing after hurricans and it became too much cost to take. So the Federal Government came up with Flood insurance and stop paying for home repairs for nothing. The money taken up for flood insurance will take care of all the losses due to flooding or weather damage. I live in Louisiana and I have flood insurance on my home because it could flood if the right conditions would happen. I have paid $400.00 a year for flood insurance and in 20 years of paying it. i have never collected a Penny. I have paid in close to $120,000.00 in priemium and with interest added for them holding that money and not fixing my home at all. I estimate that money would have growed to about $750,000.00 with 25 years of interest. So how may houses can they replace with 3/4 of a million Dollars off of turtle alone in the Fla. Hurricane Flooding. I would say i paid for 7 Homes alone off me and I guess i should be pissed too but hey My chance at a New home might just be around the corner.
Also Larry if you don't have flood insurance the Federal government will not fix nothing on your home. the Red Cross will help you some with appliances & Clean up but the home replacement is not happening. Now the Federal Government will loan you money to replace your home with at about a 3% interest rate but if you don't pay the cost of the loan. They come get your home and land and call it waiste land or just own it for ever. Also if you borrow money from a bank and you live where it floods. the bank requires you to have Flood insurance or they don't loan you any money to build anything. Also as the Government loan of 3% your required to have flood insurance in youir note.
Larry things are not happening as you thing here.
TURTLE

Good, so you are paying for flood insurnace like a good responsible person. If all the people had the proper amount of insurance, Congress wouldn't have to have a special $2 billion appropriation.

Will not fix nothing? Will not fix anything you mean? I'm not nit picking your grammar, just trying to understand.
Regardless, if my tax money has to be spent, the home owner obviously didn't have the proper amount of insurnace.
Look, I feel bad for these people. Living in S.E. Michigan, the worst we ever see is an occasional tornado, snowstorm, or strong thunderstorm. But even if a tornado wiped out my house, I have insurnace to cover it. It's propably a 1 in a million chance that it will happen, but I still am a responsible person and don't expect anyone to be forced to pay for my possible losses.

If that same torando hit my florida home, I would have to have over $16000 in damages before I see one dime from insurance... and that's the best coverage I can get. I also pay nearly 5k per year for that crappy coverage. So Larry, quit ignorant bitching for a moment while I thank God & Country for FEMA's help.
I'm leaving soon to attend the funeral of a neighbor who was killed during Hurricane Frances. It would be nice, Larry, if you just let this thread die and keep your opinion to yourself. Tonight, while you are nice and cozy, I will finish hauling wet insulation and mushy drywall out of my shingless living room.
Pissed at your ignorance, J.P.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TinMan1332) wrote:

Hmm, hurricanes occur every single year. Many years they hit that part of the country that is mainly surrounded by water - namely Florida.
Anyone who chooses to live in Florida shouldn't be surprised when a hurricane comes. They also shouldn't be surprised when the insurance companies recognize this same fact and price their policies accordingly.
So, Tinman, if you choose to live in Florida, you pay the costs associated with it. If you don't like the costs, there are many areas around the country that don't have $5000 insurance bills every year.
Nobody forces you to live there year after year, storm after storm.
The government does force me to pay tax dollars so that they can subsidize the people who choose to live in the higher risk areas. Regardless of what you call it, it is subsidizing.
While you are thanking God & Country for FEMA, how about thanking the rest of us that funded FEMA?
email to snipped-for-privacy@notreal-ruybal.com (remove the "notreal-")
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TinMan1332) wrote in message

While I'm sorry for your loss, this doesn't preclude that many people don't take responsibility for living in high risk areas. Nobody if forcing you to live in the state, you're free to move anywhere you like.
Obviously you're emotional about this issue, but try to think clearly about it. You live in a high risk area. Florida has an AVERAGE elevation of about 100 feet above sea level. You get pounded year after year with tropical storms and hurricanes. You should know the risks, and you SHOULD be hit with high insurance rates because of the risk. If you can't afford it, move.
But for you to think that all the rest of us who take responsibility with either the proper insurance coverage or by moving to a lower risk area should be ready to hand cash over because of your stubborness, ignorance, stupidity, or gall, I'm sorry, but I've lost sympathy for you. I doubt you're an idiot. I'm sure you understand the risks, but you seem to have a "you owe me" attitude which I guess I'll never understand.