I'm Pissed Off

And I was one of the first people to have a computer back when they were all run on Dos. I like the computer but I dont need to upgrade every year. My win98 works fine and is far less trouble than any newer OS. Actually this computer came with Win2K installed but I hated it so I downgraded to what I liked.

garbage they call tv and movies today. I remember when tv had humor unlike today when we have all these "reality" shows that mostly suck. Soap Operas that are not worth the electricity to run the tv, Violence, more violence, and even most of the so called comedians these days are not funny at all. The Craig Ferguson is one prime example. After watching about 10 of his shows, I have never laughed yet, not even one small chuckle. I stopped watching him after that. It's no wonder we have so many problems in society. Give me the good old days when people were free and happy, and cared more for each other than trying to impress others with what they own.

Great, now tell me how many years will you be in debt for it, and what high interest you have to pay? I like my $89 - 20" flat screen crt color tv that I bought about 2 years ago and is all I need. Of course in a little over a year it will go blank. We dont get cable here in the rural areas. But I still have my dvd and vcr. Mostly just the news and weather I will miss. Of course if I find one of them converters for $20 or less, I may get one. Of course one means I will have to keep moving it from set to set, and the vcr tuner still wont work without yet another converter.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I paid cash, $1300 three years ago. Add another $100 for the wood as I built my own solid oak furniture grade stand for it.

We're all different.... If you can justify that kind of money for a tv, thats great. To me, anything much over $100 is too much. To me, a tv is just something to catch the news and weather and watch an occasional tape or dvd. Even if I could get cable, I wouldnt spend no $50 or more per month. That's just my preference. I'd rather spend the money on other things that I get more enjoyment from.
I can watch a movie on a 12 inch tv with one speaker, or on a big screen with surround. It's the same movie and I can enjoy it the same either way. It's just a movie ! I also dont care for loud sound systems. I cant hear the doorbell, or anything else with all that noise. Being a farmer, I have to listen to what's going on outside so I dont end up like my neighbor who recently had his entire herd of cattle and horses get loose.
On the other hand, sitting in front of my antique Zenith and watching an old B&W episode of Bonanza or the Lone Ranger brings back great memories.

I paid cash for mine too. You get more for less $.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:45:26 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Strange, considering that I found w2k more reliable than any other version.

I don't watch most of the new TV shows, for that reason.

Yes, they do.
[snip]

Mark Lloyd
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:07:51 -0600, Mark Lloyd

Maybe it is. I quit using it mainly because I still like to access DOS. Not only do I still use some dos apps., but I like to be able to tinker with windows from the C: prompt when it gets screwed up. I rarely have problems with 98, except for IE locking up fairly often, which means I just use Firefox more now. The only other drawback with 98 is the need to install drivers for USB devices. I have considered switching to WinME because of that, but I understand ME lacks dos too.
I may have to eventually dual boot to 98 and XP or something, but that seems like a big hassle to me. All I really do with the computer is internet, word processing and some photoshop stuff. None of this really needs anything above 98 or more power. I cant play most of the videos that are so popular these days on the net, but being on dialup they are too slow anyhow, and who really needs them.....
On Nov 9, 2:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

When you make the claim that you are still using Win98 because it's less trouble than any newer OS, it makes me wonder how out of touch with reality you really are. You could practically crash Win98 just by looking at it. There was no use of memory protection to isolate one task from another, so when one app blew up, the whole system crashed. XP and Vista are an order of magnitude more reliable, easier to install new hardware/software, user friendly, and support apps that Win98 never could. If you only use one app and it still runs fine on your Win98, that's OK, but it doesn't make Win98 the superior OS. I can't imagine using Win98 on a PC today that's connected to the internet and being used for even a part of what most home PCs are used for today.
Regarding your restoration project, the govt will be giving out two $40 coupons for converters to any household that receives ONLY via antenna, ie they do not have cable, sat, etc. That should drop the net cost to less that $30 bucks or so for a converter. Yeah, it ain't free, but it seems it's not such a bad compromise either.
BTW, you said you'd only spend $100 for a TV. How much do you think it's going to cost to restore that 50's TV? I'm no expert in this area, but I would think that components beyond the simple stuff like capacitors, could cost quite a bit. Like what do people do for tubes these days?
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 06:35:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:
[snip]

Yes. I remember the many reboots required.

Still, 2K is better than either.
[snip]

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 06:35:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

have changed computers, cloned it to other hard drives, and done other changes. It would take me months to rebuild everything.
Everyone I know that uses XP seems to have to reinstall it every year or two. It gets flakey after awhile. Also, you can not transfer a hard drive with XP from one computer to another. I tried it, it failed miserably.
I know 98 like the back of my hand, and I keep the installation clean of unwanted and old software that is removed, both the files and the registry entries.
I actually could run XP on this computer. I have it installed on another hard drive. All I have to do is swap drives. I gave it a shot, and everytime I actually tried to make use of it, I hated it. It was slow on this 1000mhz PIII too, but it did run. Thats where I learned that it cant be transferred to another computer because I also have a 700mhz PIII and since I did not plan ot use it often, I moved the hard drive to that computer and it failed. Yeah, I could have reinstalled, but why bother when I dont like it.
I do agree that 98 can crash at times, and take down the whole thing. But it rarely happens to me. I use many more than one app at a time. Right now I have Agent, Firefox, IE, Eudora, and Paint shop pro loaded. I'd rather deal with an occasional crash than to have to rebuild my whole setup every year or two.
I have not tried Vista, and really dont care to.

$100 and more. If they do drop to $30 and the coupons are $40 I guess they would be free, but I have a feeling they will stay around $80 or more, which means we will have to dish out $40 or more. I think the govt. should give them for free. After all, they are the ones that created this mess.

Thats a whole different matter. It's an antique and costs just like restoring an old car. But I dont have to do it all at once. Actually I think most tubes will be fine. They dont degrade from sitting. I'll likely have to replace some of the paper caps., clean the potentiometers and tuner, and I know the last time I tried it, there was a high voltage leak. I hope I only need some corona dope, and of course dust removal from the whole thing. Some tubes are actually being remanufactured, and there are several sellers online that sell the old ones. I still have a tube tester which I bought second hand around 40 years ago. I used to work a lot on the old tube stuff when I was young. It's actually much easier to work on than the modern stuff, just a little more dangerous if you screw up and touch the wrong thing. Of course I learned the hard way when I was younger what NOT to touch.
On Nov 10, 1:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

I've upgraded many times over the years. From Win98, to ME, to XP, etc. It never took me months to do any one of them, nor was "rebuilding everything" required. The install manager does it all for you and it took maybe a couple hours, including creating a backup for safety. The upgrades also had there on backup, that allowed you to return if the install was not successful. Even today, you can go from Win98 to XP using the upgrade, without rebuilding/reinstalling everything.

I've had it running on this machine for 6 years without reinstalling it. I did have to reinstall it recently, but that was due to a virus. Which brings up another problem with Win98. It's not supported now by Norton, McAfee, etc., they only support XP and up. There is probably someone still offering Anti-Virus support, but maybe not for much longer.
Also, you can not transfer a

You certainly can move drives from one system to another. If you mean you can't move the boot drive from one computer to another, that's true, because XP is tied to the system it is installed on to prevent copying. But for 99.9% of users, that isn't an issue. I don't know anyone that moves their boot drive around.

Yes, and Al Bundy's old 60's Dodge was easier to maintain than a new BMW, but it doesn't make the Dodge a better car.

XP is running just fine and with comfortable speed here on the 1Ghz system I'm typing on right now. How much memory did you have on the system you tried XP on? That is a big factor in performance.
Thats where I

Rebuilding every year or two being attibuted to the OS is a myth. If you looked into what causes a system to need to be rebuilt, I would say the top factors are:
1- Viruses or similar malware, most often due to not have anit-virus installed 2 - Installing lots of new software, add on tools, etc.
If you take any system like yours, get it running stable, and then never add anything to it, either intentionally or not, of course its going to be far more reliable than a system where you have the kids downloading and running God knows what from the internet, adding more and more apps, games, tools, etc. But most people are using computers more in the second mode, than in the first relatively closed system mode that you are in. So, if you hear reports of having to reinstall everything, you're not making a valid comparison.
And reinstalling has gotten easier. PCs for a few years now have had a backup image of the whole factory install on a seperate hard drive partition. To get it back to as shipped is a one step deal. Of course you still have to add back other apps, but it is a big help.

I would not recommend putting it on a 1Ghz system either.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 06:42:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Alvina says she only uses about 5 or 6 programs. How could that take "months to rebuild" even with a completely fresh install? On her slow machine, it might take hours, but most of those hours she could be folding laundry, washing dishes or reading a good book while her machine chugs away doing the installs. Just wander over every once in a while in case it stops on a window that she needs to click "okay" before it proceeds.
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 01:23:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

There are a few problems with older software / hardware, but for Windows applications 2K is much better.

Not True. ME has DOS (v8.0) just like 98 (v7.1) does. MS has just made some attempt to hide it, but it's there. ME won't let you boot from HD without starting the GUI, but does let you create a bootable DOS disk.

XP and 2K are very similar, it's just that XP adds a lot of crap and unfeatures.

Mark Lloyd

Amazing that you think Photoshop app is cool under Win98. I remember all the trouble trying to do anything that was image or graphic intensive under Win98. It was notoriously unreliable and crash prone. Exactly like you report today with Windows Explorer locking up, forcing you to choose Firefox. Which again is OK, if that's what you want to use, but it shows you're limiting your apps choice to get around Win98 problems, so how is it better than Vista or XP?
I cant play most of the

Running Win98 with a modem, how would you know what a modern OS and computer are capable of to make a fair comparison? I've used Win98 and can tell you, any of today's OS's are far superior.

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 10:56:46 -0600, Mark Lloyd

So you are saying that I could not boot to dos, and type WIN to start ME, 2K, or XP ? Just curious. It seems to me that when I once played with WinME I could do it, but I never tried with XP or 2K. It was so long ago that I played with winME that I cant remember.
I ALWAYS boot to dos. Much of the time I just load dos to access my dos based phone address database. Anything I hate is having to wait for Windows to load just to access a phone number. Dos will boot in seconds. I often load my phone list, get a phone number, and shut the computer off right after. When I want to load windows, it's easy enough to type WIN and hit the enter key. I do not leave my computer turned on to save electricity and wear and tear on the computer.
I'd be curious if it is possible in XP, 2K or ME to boot to dos before loading windows?
On Nov 10, 1:38 am, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

That is correct. DOS runs under windows from ME on. You probably could use some boot manager to offer the choice of which OS to boot on startup. I've seen that done for various OS choices, but never looked to see if there is one that offers DOS as a choice.

I think your recollection is wrong.

It's questionable if this reduces or actually increases the wear and tear on the computer. There are those that believe the power up/down cycle is worse for the computer than leaving it on. The issues are the thermal shock to the components, as well as the startup wear on the disk drive being more than leaving it on for some reasonable period. With present computers using LCD displays, offering various power saving settings, (another thing lacking from Win98 and DOS), etc, I leave mine on most of the time. I think if you're using it occasionally during say the day, to turn if on and off each time doesn't make much sense.

No, but maybe with one of the multiple boot managers.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:45:26 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Sorry to have to say ... I agree to most all of this.
I'll assume that the "Entertainment Industry" (EI) in the US is primarily a money-grubbing and propaganda machine until I have evidence to the contrary. Endless idiot garbage-hype, grossly contrived BS, etc largely designed to foster a culture of intellectual zombies. I still get cable but only for the infrequent (1 in 100 ?) decent movie and certain over-hyped sports. Haven't watched -any- "prime time" programming since Hill St Blues.
Food for thought. Somebody/anybody can split hairs over the "precise" numbers, but I grossly estimate that, when they OK'd the demise of NTSC, there were about 300 million "old" tuners in tv's, vcr's, etc in the US. Can you imagine why the Fedral Gummint would render such eqpt (about 2 tuners in every US household) inoperable for the public airwaves just to re-cycle some frequencies? Makes no sense whatsoever without the EI's hooks in such alleged gov't. "They are bought and paid for!".
I have no objection to making the bleeding edge stuff available: if folks wanna spend their money on it, that's their business. But, trashing ~300 million tuners constitutes terminal insanity and prima facie proof of gov't control by large moneyed interests.
I read every night and encourage everyone to find a good book. The garbage on the tube/LCD/<whatever> will rot your sensibilities Muy Pronto.
S'long, AQ
"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935

I'll agree on the so called entertainment side of TV, but there are may intresting shows on travel, science, nature, home improvement, etc, that can educate and broaden the horizons of the viewer. The recent PBS series The War was very educational. I enjoy watching How Its Made on the Science channel. The Planet Earth series on Discovery HD Theater was fascinating. Some of the travel shows have been a help to preview other countries before I went there. I have a DV-R so I watch what I want, when I want to watch it.

So you buy a digital adapter. At some point you just have to drop the old technology and take a step ahead. This is not much different than when you abandoned that 300 baud modem you used to connect to the internet. Or are you still using it?

Are you into the romance novels? :)

This is true. It's not 100% Idiot-Garbage. Only about 99 44/100%.

It wasn't for me. Ken Burns has his own media agenda, and it shows.

Me? Not the issue. 100 million having to buy 200 million "cheese-boxes"? That's the issue (that you will consistently ignore).

I'm now thinking you've been bitten ...

Aha. You've contracted "Troll's Disease". I'll leave you to your own devices.
AQ
"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Ken Burns ia s worthless wanker.
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:01:53 GMT, Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

You said it........ I completely agree.....
If they want us to use a convertor, then I want ONE (whole house) convertor that I can connect to my antenna, and wire it to the whole house. I dont want to buy one for every tuner. I think your figures are low on the amount of tuners per house. I have a small house, but I have 2 tv's and 2 vcr's. That's 4 tuners alone. That does not include the 12V portable 5" B&W tv I bought when I go camping, which will not be convertable and will become useless entirely. I also liked to take that tv to the barn when I need to watch a sick animal or just want to sit outdoors on a hot summer day and watch the tv with a cold beer. I will not be able to do any of that anymore. This 12V portable could be run in a vehicle off the car battery, run on 8 "D" batteries, or plugged in with the transformer. After the change it will only work with the plug in and a convertor, which makes it pretty useless for it's intended purpose.