I hate Laminate flooring

Had it installed , very difficult to keep it looking clean.
When ever there's a drop of water that isn't wiped up and it dries, there's a spot that's hard to get off.
When my dog comes in the house with damp paw the prints are hard to remove.
You really can't use anything other than a swifter to try and keep it looking decent.
I would never install it again.
Tom

And what alternative would you use?
Pj

there's
remove.
Personally, I'd rather have urethaned real wood or a 'real' tile floor, if cost was no object. If I was on a budget, I'd rather have a good vinyl floor with area rugs, or even wall-to-wall over chipboard, than faux-top laminate. Never seen a fake woodgrain that didn't look like a gigantic countertop, and felt like one walking across it. Can't address durabilty or upkeep, since I've never had one, but I just can't get past the fake look of the stuff. It just screams CHEAP IMITATION to me. I'd rather have honest low-end stuff.
YMMV, of course, and if anyone reading this loves their Pergo or whatever, more power to you. I understand you can get laminate with real wood on top now- that might be okay, if it was installed so it didn't feel hollow when you walked on it.
aem sends....
I agree with you on the laminate. I haven't seen any yet that doesn't remind me of cheap linoleum with fake woodgrain or the really cheap fake woodgrain paneling. Same here on ceramic tile -> sheet vinyl -> carpet Bill

floor
laminate.
and
It
I would go back to a good sheet vinyl.
Tom
wrote:

there's
remove.
I find vinyl uncleanable. Most people agree that it is inferior..... sales down more than 50% over its highs.

My parents never have trouble with their laminate from Mannington. It stays clean and is easy to clean. Try Swisher kit. Works well.

there's
remove.
Art wrote:

Hi, There is specific cleaner made for the floor. Swisher is not it. Tony
True there are some brand laminates that recomend their own brand cleaner but Swisher puts out a kit with a battery operated sprayer and special pad and it says it works with laminates and as long as you don't go crazy getting the floor too wet it works well at least on the Mannington.

Had Mannington wide-plank floor put in a house, cleaned with a damp mop for 10 years, never had a problem except with scratches and their scratch repair kit covered that really well (2 dogs at the time, wet,muddy pawprints) RJ

there's
remove.
"tflfb" wrote

there's
remove.
It would be interesting to know if you bought an off brand or name brand. I've never run across someone that had a name brand complain.
Personally, I don't like the imitation wood look, I do like the Pergo Tiles when done custom with border or inset.
says...

For what it's worth, I've had the opposite experience. I've got Pergo Premium stone -sytle tiles as a perimeter around Alpine Beech woodgrain. This is the good 8 mm stuff, properly installed in a 500 sq foot (dry) basement.
It's more than three years old and looks like new, despite furniture movement, cat issues, and daily use.
It cleans up really easy (I do use the Pergo brand cleaner, still on my first bottle).
While real wood or real tile/stone might be better choices, I would have no problem recommending Pergo Premium.
Marc

Hey, this is America. Why don't you use solid planks like a good American? Laminate is for the rest of the world.
We have Pergo and also have had the wood planks. The only problem with the laminate so far is , our dishwasher leaked and soaked under a few planks and swelled them. I am dreading taking them up and replacing them. The wood plank floor we had, also had problems, such as squeaking and coming loose, but lasted many years. The Pergo laminate is easy to maintain, we mop with plain water and then dry with a towel and its looks brand new again. we have had the laminate for 3 years and very pleased so far.
And of course wood would have been ruined by a leak too.... probably faster than the latest non-glue laminates which are water resistent.

Dear whiner - You have us confused with people who care.

there's
remove.