I guess this more of a question for burglars than home owners

On 9/9/2015 3:02 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 9/9/2015 3:20 PM, Mr. Emann wrote:

Sure it would be but think about it...
On any given day, how many $2 bills pass through the register at just about ANY store.
Cops doing a canvass can just ask "Taken and $2 bills today?" The only place they have to look is until the till with the big and "odd" (read $2 bills) since there is not a space for them in the cash drawer.
Smooth move! An alternative would be to hit a $1 or $5 bill with a splash of fluorescent orange marking paint. Just something to make that bill stand out.
On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 15:02:31 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

The serial number was pretty distinctive. It was easy to read on a 8.5xq11 picture.
They had taken exactly one $2 bill in the proceeding week.
If this was a thief from far away, it might not have showed up there but all of this was walking distance from his home.

Did they get the guy who illegally printed counterfeit US currency, in violation of federal law?
On 9/9/2015 10:40 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Women are the easiest target of car thieves.
They get out of the car, open the trunk and put their purse in it, then lock up.
Thief will break into car even if alarmed and be gone with purse before help arrives.
On Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 12:22:56 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

All women? Really?

That'd be a good trick in my SUV. If I'm going to leave my purse in the car (it's mainly luggage for my tablet), I tuck it underneath something--the seat, a grocery bag, etc. Generally when I'm setting out for my destination, rather than when I arrive. Cindy Hamilton
On 9/9/2015 3:07 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I walk in a nearby park and see women leaving their purses in the car all the time. Reticent to say anything to them but I've seen several cars broken into in the park. Figure someone is watching in another parked car. Takes a half hour to walk park perimeter which makes theft easy.
One New Year's day, I got back to the car at the same time guy I knew got back to his car. He cursed. They had broken a hole in his plastic car door to open the car and stole the bag with his cell phone in it.
Also happened to a friends wife in Washington, DC. They parked, she put her purse in the trunk and it was gone when they got back.
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 9:53:01 PM UTC-4, Seymore4Head wrote:

I've heard of neighbors who hide keys at each others' houses. If somebody is trying to break into House A and finds a hidden key, it doesn't work because that key is for House B, across the street.
Has anyone used one of those keypad front door locks?
Paul

I have had a simplex on my frond door since 1971. Our daughter didn't carry a door key until she went to college. I do have a key for another door stashed where it is unlikely to be found but we have never needed it
On 9/8/2015 8:50 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

I'd bet most burglars are small-time crooks looking for stuff to hock to get money for drugs. Criminal amateurs or close to it, and for those, kicking in the door is probably the simplest approach most of the time. If there's a key cleverly hidden, they won't have the time or the smarts to figure it out.
Seymore4Head wrote:

On 9/9/2015 11:07 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

A few time I've gone out, shut and locked the door and realized I did not pick up my keys. With a hidden key, easy to get back in. Or if you lose your keys, or have your pocketbook stolen, etc.
In my case, the spare key is locked with a code that only I know, not in an obvious place.

Good question. A conversation with my elderly aunt prompted the question. She told me that she took a bath and had trouble getting out. I first suggested a seat for the bath and also suggested she take the phone in the bath with her. That is when she said that the phone wouldn't do her any good that the doors were locked.
She has a granddaughter living with her so she doesn't live alone, but she was by herself when she couldn't get out of the bath.
I leave a key hidden outside. I have taken my car to the shop and left the house key on the key ring more than once. Hint. The key is not under the door mat.
On 9/9/2015 10:07 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

To get inside when you haven't got the key for one reason or another. Obviously.
I had to break into my brother's house to feed his cats. He'd gone on a business trip and had given me the wrong keys. He had no spare keys hidden anywhere, none with the neighors, so he okayed my breaking a window to get in. I managed to pry open a basement window and sent our skinny sister through (I didn't fit). She ran upstairs and let me in. While she was back down in the basement I emerged from my brother's bedroom to find a cop in the living room with his hand on his gun. Oops. And me with no ID. Oops again.
I explained the situation, admitted to no ID on me, and gave him my name and address. whereupon he asked me to identify my neighbor across the street from my house. I babbled their names, their kid's name, and the name of their dog for good measure. He relaxed, said, "I believe you - I'm their nephew" and departed.
Seymore4Head wrote:

the easier to find it.
On 9/9/2015 10:10 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I've got one basically hidden in plain sight in my yard, in that the object within which the key resides is in view. But everyone overlooks it, because it is one of those utilitarian things that doesn't command much attention. Plus, it is not near the house, much less the door. If you need the key, you have to take a short walk through the yard - but even in the deepest snow, you can access it. Amusing thing is, no matter how many times I've told family where it the key is stashed, nobody remembers to look there, because after awhile you just stop noticing inconspicuous utilitarian objects. You see it, but it doesn't register. Just like when you live near a church and you soon stop hearing the church bells.

I know a guy who keeps a spare key in the shed, on top of one of the trusses. He figures nobody can see it and it takes a bit of work to reach it if you are not a basketball player. (8' 3.5" above FF)

I used to keep a spare key under the bee hive.