I bought an edger...

(Correcting the incorrect attribution)
Oren wrote:

Hank wrote:

I used a "starting fluid" , and not a "cleaning fluid". One or two shots of "starting fluid" and she fired a bit. Then I cleared the bowl bolt jet with a SS wire. No need for a complete disassemble.

Just don't break it off (or any small wire) in a passage / venturi.
Between a google poster and a top poster the thread got munged.

You got lucky. Also, where did the sludge come from? Is there more somewhere else in the fuel system?
Hank

Sitting for ten or eleven months through last winter and all summer. I'm certain there may be more "sludge", but nothing stopping the engine from running. It runs fine. Maybe one year in the future I'll tear it down and soak all the carb parts in a "cleaner", just for giggles.
Not so much luck , as experience and trouble shooting.
Gentlemen -- start you snow blowers! It is that time of year.
YEars ago, I bought a used snow blower. Two stroke Tecumseh engine, powering a Toro. The unit didn't run. Cleaned the black stuff out of the carb. And then it ran for a few seconds. Same deal. Finally, I cut the fuel line and spliced in a fuel filter. Runs much better.
Good reminder. Time to get the snow blower running. And the generator.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Just put some "sea foam" in the gas and all the gunge will be gonzo.
Oh, the modern generation. And the new terms they use. Sea foam? Gunge? Gonzo?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sea Foam" is a brand name of a very excellent fuel additive - and I suspect we are of the same generation.
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 22:04:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks for that. I went to read about the Sea Foam product. Next time I'm at the auto parts store I'll pick some up.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/tech-info-gas-engines /
The OP sprayed with ether. The "couple seconds of run" helps to diagnose. Rule out ignition problems and compression. Helps rule it down to the carb. I can't remember how he cleaned. Oh, yah. Thin wire from a wire brush. Me, I use oven cleaner spray to clean out the ports and jets of carbs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus