HVAC refrigerant indicator?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:02:29 GMT, Abe

Actually, the "Beer Can Cold" works like a champ 95% of the time.
The hvac girls are saying that only a hack would use it, but they've probably reached down a few times and grapped the evaporator line on the condenser to see if it was beer can cold and then made a mental note that the system is properly charged. It is so damn easy and so accurate. That's why you should use it first, if you want to know the condition of your system.
Besides, we are not talking about hvac girls here. We are talking about customers. Customers who have been screwed by the professional hvac girls too many times and have seen them on TV hidden cameras screwing other people.
It's pretty simple to use really.
JimL
Beer can cold is only accurate if your outdoor conditions never change AND your indoor conditions never change. I have never seen a place like that but I must assume that you live in one or you would not recommend such a procedure. If you think I am wrong, ask the people that make the equipment. They recommend suction superheat or liquid subcooling. Just ask Lennox, Trane, Carrier, Goodman, York, Rheem/Ruud, Heil and others. All are providing charging charts based on something besides "Beer Can Cold".
If the Air Force did things your way, they would still be flying biplanes with cloth covered wings. Come join the 21st century.
Yes, there are some dishonest HVAC folks out there. I put them in the same boat as the incompetent ones. None of them are doing their customers or our industry any favors.
Stretch

about the hacks you see being busted on TV. If I show up at your house and you have a leak, its fixed period. End of discussion. If you want to do it any other way call some one else. If I can't install a refrigeration component without it leaking, I should be looking for another line of work. The real professionals are telling you what a Hack is. Listen and learn so when they show up at your door step you can spot them and send them packing before they cost you. Some damage that they do, does not show up for months after ward. In example: continuously running you AC low on refrigerant.
Barry