HVAC installation

my wife and i are moving to an old row house, and we're looking into getting it retrofit with a new HVAC system. i'm wondering if anyone in this group has had experience with this and can offer some advice. i'm specifically interested in any insights on cost to install an HVAC system for a two story (approx 1400 sq ft) home.
thanks.
kelbyj wrote:

Likely the best advice is to ask around of your friends, family and neighbors to find a good local HVAC professional.
Each situation is so different that it is not practical to offer specific advice in a newsgroup. To get it right one must actually see the situation, do some measurements and do the calculations (called manuals) to come to any conclusion.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Between $5000 and $30,000
Does it have hot air heat and duct work or does it have old radiators? You can be looking at a $5000+ difference in just that so no one can give very much information. Does your electric supply have sufficient capacity? Two story plus basement? Walk out basement? Back yard for the condenser or wall mount? Is the old heater gas, electric, or oil?
Get a local guy to come look at it. Find out who the neighbors used.
The difference if you have radiators and no ducts is easily 3x-4x the cost if you go Spacepack. Either way get written load calculations for ducts and sizing, and a written temp guarntee. You realy need someone good, not the cheapest, Oversize you will be humid, undersize you wont cool. We had a spacepack retrofit, we are lucky we went with the highest recommended guy who did retrofits everyday because the other 2, I found out had their idea of sizing and ducting all wrong. You need refrences to check to. If you have ducts its no nightmare