HVAC

In the process of buying a new home. 2500 square feet, 2 stories, forced air (gas). Contractor wants to charge $4,000 for a 2 zone heating/ac system. Does this sound about right or should I get it done after construction is finished.
I found this hvac web site lots of information http://www.talk-hvac.com/forums
--
hvacguru

http://www.talk-hvac.com/forums
See rule 7:
7. No Advice Please do not explain to a homeowner how to repair,install or give advice on equipment.
Nick
On 28 Apr 2005 20:06:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

I'm guessing 'lots of information' not for the homeowner. :(
tom
The salesman just left. He said he will get back to me in a few days with some numbers for sizing of the units and ductwork. I asked him to separate in the price for removing the boiler and radiators. I told him I want high efficiency units and utility rebates. I expressed my concern that I be warm enough. I guess then he will let me select the equipment brand before he gives me a price. I told him I have a budget. He seemed a little jazzed that I already had permits. I know I am.

I got his proposal in the mail today. $15,967.00, not including removal of boiler and radiators. He wants another $1,577.00 to do that.
I think it is about 5k too high.
On to the next one...
have heat pump
At end of heating season I noted cold air being blown thru registers when unit was on. Only way I could get get warm air (normal for me is 68 F setting) was to turn up thermostat to 90 degrees. That would send warm air and when house warm enough I would cut off unit. Now a/c season here in GA and no matter how low I set thermostat unit will blow only room temp air. Your best guess as to prob?
Frank GA correct email is snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Guess? You have either a refrigerant problem or a compressor problem. Kinda hard to diagnosis a problem off the 'net.
The heat strips were heating your house during the winter. That's why you had to turn it up so high. If you had just turned the thermostat to (about) 78, that would have brought the strip heat on.
updaline wrote:

Hi, Not enough info. What components were quoted? Does it include installation? Is it firm price? Is he just adding cooling onto existing furnace? What model and specs.? Your location?, etc., etc.

It may cost more or even be impossible to zone after construction. If you don't think it is a good deal, get a heating contractor now to give you some ideas of what can be done, as well as get some details of what your builder is proposing.
None of us can see your layout so none of us can be very accurate.
updaline wrote:

Additional information: It is a firm price. Includes installation. Home found in PA. Contractor will plug ac into the zone system.