Hurricane season approaches

Page 1 of 2
It's getting to be that time of year again. I am going to buy a generator this year in case we get hit again by a hurricane. Can any one advise me on what to look for in features or size? My neighbor had a small Honda last year but said it was too small. I will need to run a refrigerator, small TV, some lights. a fan or two. Of course not all at the same time. Any help is appreciated. Chuck B.
First you need to calculate watts needed for run and surge load for all motor equiped apliances, surrge load can be 9x run load but is usualy 4-6 times. The Honda site and more have guidline sheets , but you realy need a clamp on amp meter. A new frige can pull only 100 running 450 surge an old unit can pull 1400 surge 600 running, a TV 200-350w. A Honda or Yamaha inverter type are the safest in power quality, maintaing 120 v 60hz, quietness- you can hardly hear them run and last the longest at 50 % load, up to 14000 hrs. A cheap B&S or Techumpsee motor can fail at 250-350 hrs and put out 140-90v on load-no load with swinging HZ, it can ruin a TV or any sensitive electronics if it doesnt have voltage regulation. The Honda-Yamaha inverter line is expensive but you get what you pay for. They are available to 3000w and similar non inverter models to 10000w. Most other units are extremely noisy. I suggest get a transfer panel and a vented dry location as rain will blow out a generator. You get what you pay for, Generac are cheap for what you get , the OHV with oil filter can last 3000 hrs and the XL and EXL line have voltage regulation, vs cheap ones that go 350hrs. But Honda , Yamaha with load dependant Rpm last the longest 4x longer at 50% load. If power outages last a week and you want to keep it Honda-Yamaha is best Generac second and lawnmower grade engines last.
It is a confusing market shopping for watts produced but to compare a 450$ 5000 watt generator to a 3000 $ 3000 watt Honda is no comparison, the Honda can last 14000 hrs vs 350 hrs and give true 120v 60 Hz, vs 140-90 v 55-65 hz junk, again you get what you pay for.

Yamaha's EF1000i and EF3000is look interesting. A Honda dealer told me one of his 2500 W NON-inverter generators lasted 12K hours at full-power with no oil changes. The contractor just kept adding oil until the crankcase was full of something like asphalt :-) Would Yamaha last as long?
An EF1000i and a 4 kW inverter with 2 batteries might be nice cogeneration. The $669 27 lb EF1000i burns 0.66 g of gas in 6 hours at 1/2 power at 47-57 dB. That's about 0.66x122K/3h = 27K Btu/h, enough to heat an A ft^2 R1 plastic film room in the basement from 80-100 F, where A = 27K/20 = 1342. Too big...
We might stack some 4 gallon 9"x9"x13" Ropak water tubs in an 8'x8' room. If it loses 6h(100-80)5x64/R1 = 38400 Btu over 6 hours and the tubs store 42.1K Btu with a 7.8 hour time constant and cool to 70 F by morning, T(6) = 100-(70-100)e^-6/7.8 = 86.2 F, so we need 42.1K/(86.2-70)/32 = 81 tubs, eg a 4x5x4 36"x45"x36" tall stack, or fewer tubs and a fan to lower their charging time constant. The exhaust would go outdoors, depressurizing the room, with a CO detector upstairs.
Nick
My neighbor is a Honda employee and he says the urban myth of not doing maintenance is often overstated. The generators with bad oil and plugged filters don't meet output specs and burn excessive fuel. How hard is it to change a beer glass full of oil now and then?
sparky wrote:

Don't know, but probably a lot easier if you drink the beer first.
In the morning when I change the oil the most I can take to drink is Gin. I think Winston Churchill said this too!

But maybe they do run 12K hours, even at full rpm, without inverters. I got to know my local Honda dealer, who's been around for a long time, and he seems honest to me. Unlike m, I don't believe "all salesmen lie." The local Yamaha dealer says their small engines have equal lifetimes... m says Yamaha's parts are cheaper and they are less monolithic to deal with, which seems nice, even though m can't spell and seems to possess more anger than subtlety and didn't answer my question about Yamaha engine lifetime and wonders if 1 kWh is equivalent to 450 Btu :-)
Nick
I dont know about Yamaha gens but they make great motors, neither of which go 12000 hrs, full load @3600 rpm, that is sales talk on smaller fixed rpm air cooled units. Inverter units at 50% load apx 2000 rpm will, but not without clean oil . Is spelling - presentation that important to you, or correct info. Your salesman has one objective, getting your money.

Would you have any evidence for this article of faith?
Do you know more than my local Yamaha dealer?
Or is this just your less-informed opinion?
Nick
Nickavecmerde, Yea Ive got plenty of proof, 40 yrs worth. Your salesman proves the point, there is a sucker born every minute.
Nick avecspam , post my response to Yamaha. You can`t. Learn to read and comprehend what you read and who wrote it ,before you misquote again.
I dought a Honda would last 4- 500 hours without an oil change before it started to smoke that 12000 hr story is pure BS , from a salesman of course. Nobody is going to buy the most expensive unit and trash it that way. 12000 hrs at full load and rpm is way optimistic anyway, more like 3000 - 5000. Most Hondas don`t have oil filters, at 500 hrs the oil would be real thick ruining it. At 750- 1500 hours it would not flow it would be mud, and your motor would never make it to even 1000 hrs. Oils become innefective around 150 hrs and full of junk that will grind a motor away.

I suspect you are wrong again. You might write back after you learn to spell "doubt" :-)
Nick
No Nick Im not wrong try running a small motor like that for only 100 hrs and check the oil , 500 hrs is the life cycle of most small motors with regular changes at 25 hrs, but you didn't know that did you. Many small motors go at 350 hrs with maintenance. These are non oil filter engines, you have allot to learn Nick, but then again if you are stupid enough to believe a motor can go 12000 hrs on original oil you know nothing about motors or oil. On a car going 60 mph you would travel 720000 miles in 12000 hrs, do you now see how totaly absurd that statement is that some salesman knows a guy that ran his unit 12000 hrs on original oil. I guess that you must believe Honda cars can do the same! Figure it is also running a constant 3600 rpm at full power. Did you know the EPA has class ratings on engines and the Honda is a 1500 hr rating till it fails EPA, till it pollutes, is wearing out. 12000 hrs on an inverter gen running at 1200-1800 rpm or less yes will go 12000 hrs but not a Honda at 3600 rpm, Never, and not one on orginal oil to boot. Go learn a bit more and come back, naw, anybody that believes 12000 hrs at 3600 rpm on original oil don`t come back, your info is totaly BS , missleading, junk.

You might post this again when you learn to spell "a lot."
Nick
Right Nick this is your Spelling group , Nick you might post when you have something inteligent to say so far nick you have said a big Zero.

You might post again when you learn to spell "intelligent."
Nick
Minimum 5 kW continuous power.

How old is your frige, what does the panel rate its consumption, your neighbors small honda may do it for you and it could give him the opertunity to get a bigger unit, and you a good price, what size is your unit. Nobody can say you need 5000 or 2000 watts, you may only need 1000. I replaced my frige with a 19.5 cu ft that runs at 90 watt and my furnace pulls 375, I could run easily with 1000 watts but I learned to late, after I purchased a Generac 7500-13500w unit. If I knew what I know now I would have gotten a 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha. Plus Inverter generators are 35% lighter, the generatior is not a separate unit but part of the motor, weight is very important.

This is Turtle.
Boudreaux & Thibodeaux has solved the Hurricane problem in Florida and is working on it now and should be complete before the summer. They are building a hurricane fence all around Florida and then you can sell your generators and power outage supplys.
TURTLE