Human energy

According to Michael Feldman's radio show, a human generates and uses about as much energy as a 100 watt lightbulb.
I guess AC folks, especially those who work on public places where big crowds of people might be the biggest source of heat, would know if this is so.
Activity and ambient Temperature are important @ 20C ( Seated 100W ) ( Walking 150W ) ( Heavy Work 400 ) The Heat gain consisting of Latent 250W Sensible 150W

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:38:30 +1200, "Telstra"

How many foolish watts?

mm wrote:

Yes, it's true.
An ordinary adult human consumes about 2000 calories a day in food energy. (Let's assume this is all burned off instead of ending up in the hips, thighs, and belly.)
A food calorie is really a kilocalorie, so 2000 food calories is really 2,000,000 calories.
2,000,000 * 4.184 Joules/cal = 8,368,000 Joules of energy consumed in a day.
1 kilowatt hour = 3600 Joules, so in one day an adult human goes through about 2324 kilowatt hours of energy. Divide that by 24 hours in a day, and you get just under 100 Watts.
Movie theaters usually start out cold and end up warm. If I'm seeing a film well after its opening release when there won't be a crowd, I'll dress warmer for it.

Sounds right. A person typically gives of 350 Btu per hour of heat and that is 102 watts. In some large buildings cooling in winter is more critical than heating when 15,000 are in the audience. Those 15,000 people give off about the same heat as a 125 HP steam boiler.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

mm wrote: