How to tile over painted walls

Any suggestions on how to tile a painted wall? It's in a kitchen, painted in semi-gloss. How about if I just scratch up the wall surface really well: can I then use thinset directly on the wall?
Replies from those with actual experience setting tile especially appreciated.
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
I find adhesive fine for walls, especially in kitchens where there is no water spray as you get in a shower. I only use thinset for shower areas and where I have to match other levels where I have used thinset. The adhesive will work fine on semigloss if you sand the surface to add a little tooth for the glue to stick to.

Some thinsets say that they are suitable for use on paint I believe.
Bob
Get some Sherwin Williams Lox ON. clean your walls real good, spray, roll whatever the Lox On, on. Mastic over it. Bob F wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

There is a thinset for every situation. There's even a thinset for bonding tile to unscarified formica. Just make sure that the thinset you choose says that it will bond to painted walls and that it is appropriate for the moisture level that it will see, and you'll be fine. I recommend NOT using other adhesives. My home builder did that and the tiles are falling off the walls :-(
BRW

I used mastic. My usual advice is go to a tile store. That is one where tile is he only business. Tell them what you want to do and buy what they recommend.
Charlie