wainscot over tile walls?

I'm thinking of remodelling my 1950s era bathroom and was looking for some advice. All 4 walls are tiled 3/4 of the way, with drywall making up the balance. Behind the tile is some sort of (concrete?) backerboard . Being somewhat lazy, I was wondering If I could just use Liquid Nails to put up some Wainscoting panels directly onto the existing wall tile. Barring that, do I need to demolish both the tile and the original backerboard or can I just stop with the wall tile? If I need to demolish all of it, I might as well put up new drywall in the entire room, but doing that would make this a bigger remodelling effort than I care to take on.

Thanks for your advice folks.

Happy Holidays Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Of course you could.

If you take the tile off, plan on taking it down to bare studs & re-rocking.

Reply to
3rd eye

Thanks for the feedback. Any caveats or tips you care to share about putting panelling directly over tile (surface prep, type of adhesive etc) would be much appreciated!

Reply to
Mitch

I've never done this, but I see no reason why you couldn't use liquid nails. Stick it to the wall then peel it away & wait for a few minutes before sticking it again. It will give you good bond. You'll likely need to do some shimming to keep everything flat & square. You'll probably need to be a bit creative for the moulding on top.

Reply to
3rd eye