how to stop fence post from wiggling in cement block? (2023 Update)

I removed an old fence post from its cement block and pounded in a new one. The new post is 16 inches deep into the old cement block but still wiggles a few mm on the top. What is the best way to tighten it up?

Is there something I can inject into the gap between the post and the cement block for this purpose?

Reply to
peter

I can't believe you're worrying about *a few millimeters* of wiggle at the *top* of the post; why?

You could probably drive a few 12d or 16d galvanized finishing nails into the gap on two adjacent sides, using a nail set to get the heads flush with the concrete. That'd firm it up for the moment.

The swelling and shrinking of a wood post will probably never let you get it completely locked in.

Jeff (Who wishes he had the time to worry about "problems" as trivial as that one )

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I remember a post in woodworking NG about a guy who complained his table saw could not get his down accuracy to 1/16 of an inch.....he said he was hoping for 1/32! I'd settle for 1/8 myself.....don't worry about the fence post. Heck my fence moves a couple of inches....

Terry

Reply to
Terry Cano

try wedging some material inbetween the post and the concrete, on 3 sides.

Reply to
big jim

1/8"? Heck I get down to 1/64" on mine! Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Simpson make an epoxy injection system that goes with their steel fasteners. You could try and seal the gaps with epoxy.

You could also make some shims and drive them in the gaps.

Line posts shouldn't be set in concrete for this reason.

Reply to
davefr

Go find a pile of sand...get yourself a five gallon plastic bucket...fill it up with sand...take it to that fence post and start spooning that sand into the hole surrounding the post...when you get enough sand in that gap between the post and the block you will know it...because the post will stop wiggling! You could also through loose soil into the gap and tamp it down as you pack it in...another neat trick is just buy yourself a bag of concrete mix at Home Depot and pour it into the gap between the post and the block hole...after it rains you will have concrete holding your post in place!

Regards,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

@Jeff I cannot think of a more ridiculous hobby than to spend your time lecturing people that they just need to care less about somethings. Accept things being incorrect to save time. There are people in this world who try to get everything right and have what we like to call "standards". It's strange that you don't have enough time to worry about a wobbly post but you do have enough time to tell Peter he shouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
FuzzySideOfTheLollipop