How to smooth edge of asphalt driveway?

I had to narrow my driveway by up to 2 inches for a length of 13'. I used a 4" masons chisel and hammer. While the top of the driveway is straight, the sides are rather ragged because I didn't use a circular saw with a masonry blade to neatly slice through the aggregate. So in some places, there are "cavities" in the side that extend almost 1" toward the center of the driveway.
My concerns:
1. These cavities are places where pockets of water can pool and freeze. 2. The edges of the driveway above the cavities aren't supported very well, and may collapse if I accidentally stray with my car over them.
One way to fill the cavities and smooth the sides would be to trowel into them the black stuff normally used to repair holes in the surface. Any pitfalls with this approach? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Ray
Ray wrote:

Look in your yellow pages and find a concrete products supplier. Call them and ask for a structural repair mortar or grout. The stuff is expensive, but will do what you want it to do.
Sika is the brand that I use most, but there are many brands and many different mixtures. I believe Sikas site is:
www.sikausa.com
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

It will be difficult to get these gaps "full"

Possibly cut asphalt so you have a hole that you can fill from the top? You just need to be sure that it can bond with the existing stuff and that you pack it into the hole well to prevent shrinkage.
Noozer,
Thanks for the reply. The thought of cutting a hole in the surface of a brand new driveway is out of the question. It will be visible, and might be vulnerable to water entry at the interface with the original driveway. When that water freezes, I'll have problems. The torch idea from Richard is perfect.
Ray
Noozer wrote:

OOPS! I did not catch the asphalt part in the subject line. I was thinking it was a concrete driveway.
DO NOT USE MY PREVIOUS ADVICE!
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Ray writes:

Proper method would be to trim straight with a diamond concrete saw.
The asphalt paving crew uses a torch like this to reheat small goofs and pound them into shape with a sledge:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber033
If your asphalt is young enough (not brittle, still plastic when heated) then you might be able to reform a ragged edge using that method.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Yes, but to rent the saw and blade would cost close to $100. It's that expensive because of the time it takes to clean the equipment for the next rental. It took me about one hour with the chisel.

Thanks for the fantastic idea. The driveway was just laid, on Nov 20. Your idea should work like a charm. Now all I have to do is wait for the rain to stop.
Ray