How to Run Network Cable in an Old House?

Page 2 of 2

Check in the basement for the location of the main drain stack. Go up in the attic, and find the vent associated with that stack. You might find that you can work a plumbing snake or wire "fish tape" down alongside the stack into the basement. Pull a string back up with the snake, and pull the wire up with that.
Bob

Good tip! I will go looking for the main drain stack. I don't even know where it is in my house. This is about time to find out.
Jay Chan
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay Chan) wrote in message

I live in an "earth-sheltered" home made of concrete and rebar and covered with 4' of soil. I have a netgear wireless b/g router that not only penetrates every room in the house, but 100 feet out to the pool. Excellent reception everywhere on my 1 acre of property. Bandwidth maxes out my 3-4Mbit cable connection. Took me about 20 minutes to set up the encryption to keep neighbors out. Ditch the cable and get a netgear.

Glad to hear that you have good result with your wireless setup. But I need to stream videos (MPEG-1 and MPEG-2) through the network connection; therefore, I believe the performance requirement on the network connection is higher than just for sharing printer/files and sharing an internet connection. From reading articles in net, I have an impression that wireless is probably iffy for streaming video (some may have adequate result, some may have OK result with signal boosters, and some may not at all). This sounds like a lot of trial and error to find out if this will work or not. I prefer to use the "sure" thing. Seem like I don't really need to go to giga-bps network connection (1000Mbps); but I probably better off using 100Mbps connection that will need to be wired, and this will be the "sure" thing.
If I cannot find a way to run cable through the house, I probably will try the 802.11a/g combo that is currently available to see if it is good enough. If that is still not good enough, I will wait one year or two for the next generation of wireless connection that is supposed to be able to reach 100Mbps or so (if I read this correctly from the wireless round-up in the latest issue of PC Magazine).
Jay Chan