How to replace water pipe

Page 2 of 2
On 5/26/2012 8:33 PM, Ook wrote:

They were using the cheapo black plastic for a while and found that it couldn't handle transient high pressure conditions. So now they require type L copper again. The local water utility has had so many issues with the black plastic that they often start at one block and work there way down the street replacing plastic with copper.

On 5/27/2012 7:24 AM, George wrote:

Thinking inside. Type "K" is required outside.

Definitely not what's happening here in NJ. It's been used for decades with no problems and is going into new construction right now. Given all the modern materials I find it hard to believe that a plastic flexible pipe can't be used for underground water. It would be my first choice.
On 5/27/2012 9:03 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

If you did that here you would be getting your water from a hose attached to your neighbors house because they would refuse to connect your plastic line.
Our water company PAWC is owned by a German outfit who bought up hundreds of water systems and uses the business name "American Water" and conspicuously uses the words "We are American Water" in all written material.
I think I read about you, in cave man times.
Didn't Ook, marry Oog, and had a kid named Oohbaby?
On May 27, 12:13pm, "Stormin Mormon"

.
I married Oog, didn't you get the wedding invite? Kids are Ookoog. Oogook, Ookook, and Oogoog. I think... I get confused easily. Wish I would have stuck to Fred, George, Mary and Martha.
Must be tough when refund checks arrive, adressed to "O".
I married Oog, didn't you get the wedding invite? Kids are Ookoog. Oogook, Ookook, and Oogoog. I think... I get confused easily. Wish I would have stuck to Fred, George, Mary and Martha.
On Mon, 28 May 2012 06:57:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Did he and Mrs. O go see her story?

I can't remember the original question.
As a follow up to my previous question - suppose I decide to replace the pipe. What kind of pipe and fittings would I use. Is there a standard for this type of work?
I've laid sprinkler pipes before with PVC, but I'm not sure I want PVC for my main water feed from the meter to the house. Is it OK to use PVC for this, or should I stick to metal pipe? And if so, what kind of metal pipe is commonly used?

As a follow up to your follow up, how about if you remind us what the previous question was to which you are following up?
With hundreds of posts in this NG, you really can't expect us (well, at least not *all* of us) to remember your previous question.

It's the thread immediately prior to this one....

Or after, I'm told, depending on what news reader one uses!

I would use type K that is one size larger in diameter than what you have right now. For example: If you have right now then I would use 1. I would also make sure to de-bur the ends. I would wrap the copper in pipe-wrap for the entire length that is touching the soil or concrete. But thats just me.
On 5/26/2012 6:50 PM, Ook wrote:

the line from the meter to the house may HAVE to be copper by local code. Better check with them. The branches to your hydrants can be pvc.
--
Steve Barker