How to remove green patina copper sulfate oxidation?

I've been googling on how to clean green patina, or rather copper sulfate oxidation from come metalic components. All I can find is how to add it, not remove it! Evidently, this green substance is desirable for certain applications, such as artwork. What can I use to remove it from some copper hinges?

-Thanks

Reply to
somebody

There's copper cleaner used to clean pots/pans. Bar Keeper's Friend should also work. Both can be found in grocery and hardware stores. Both are very mild abrasives.

Follow directions. Use old toothbrush for tight spots.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Navy used to use catsup for their copper galley steam tables. Because it is acidic. Acid reduces (removes/reverses) oxides.

Abrasion works too :)

Reply to
dadiOH

to prevent poatina from reoccuring, clean completely then spray with clear acrylic.

always thought copper roofs looked bad once they aged........

new copper is pretty

Reply to
hallerb

dilute sulfuric acid - about 5% in water. Be careful, because it tickles and puts holes in your clothes. Then spray with clear Krylon or some such.

Keith

The US Navy also used the powder mix for lemonade to clean the unpainted steel floors. I don't know how it would work on copper. This was back in the '50s, so I don't know if the current lemonade mix is the same as then, either.

Reply to
willshak

Well, which is it? Copper sulphate is blue. This, I remember. Copper oxide is black, if memory serves.

Copper oxide and copper sulphate are not the same.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you tried copper polish? I've used very fine steel wool to brighten brass, followed by clear coat to protect. Worked great on long hinge on an upright piano.

Reply to
Norminn

a scotchbrite greenie will polish anything nice, provided its small

Reply to
hallerb

Might scratch copper more than fine steel wool, methinks :o)

Reply to
Norminn