How to pull up and put back carpet?

I need to lift up some carpet(cheap) on one side of the room in my condo. I am going to run speaker wire under the pad. The section is 10' long and is up against a slider and wall with baseboard. Is most carpet glued down or just stretched on the tack strip? Is it a matter of just lifting it off and putting it back? Any help would be appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1164673691.936349.163860@ 45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

If it's tacked, just pull the carpet up and upon reinstallation, rent a carpet kicker from your local tool rental, hardware or flooring store.
If it's glued......no way around it you are going to have fun (not)! :-)
Generally there is a 3/8" gap below your baseboard. You may be able to drop the speaker wire between the tack strip and the baseboard and floor and lead it around the wall to where you want to go. No need to lift the carpet and then try to restretch it back on the strip.

Or you could pull it up a little at each end and use a fishtape to pull the wire. Unless the wire is very thin, you may see/feel it under the carpet.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

it along the baseboard and take a screwdriver and push it under the the baseboard hidden out of the way.
--
Lar
---- to email get rid of the BUGS!