How to protect paint for house numbers painted on a curb

Page 1 of 2
As many have done, I've paid for someone to paint the house numbers on the curb in front of my home. While living in central California, the numbers are not readable in about 2 yrs due to the outside elements. Is there something that I can spray over the paint to protect it longer? TIA

Once they're painted once, can't you simply repaint it every so often?
It's literally a paint by number project. <G>
Barry
Forget the protective coat. You can make your own stencil from glossy, thin cardboard, using an Exacto knife or utility knife. Just copy the style of the commercial numbers, buy a can of exterior lacquer spray paint, and you are in business!
ziggs writes:

Clear epoxy, although not a spray. Or use epoxy paint to start with.
ziggs wrote:

Spray poly comes to mind. $3 at Ace.
ziggs wrote:

This is a big scam, as far as I can see.. I lived in an unencorperated community in So Ca and these guys would come around every year wanting to paint my curb numbers.. Claimed it was required but the local (county) fire dept... I only let them paint mine once and noticed that they were using ordinary lacquar spay paint.. Like you would use on a craft project.
The next time the came around I refused unless they could show me the law and spec. on their paint, that it was for outside use. They could provide neither.
They would still come around each year, but I had already painted my own with a brush, stencil and exterior paint.
Wouldn't be so bad if they were truly working to raise funds for the fire dept. but they are just scammers, like the drive way sealers.
Steve
Yes they are scammers better to pay them for a service than to have them looking inside your house for some service
<SNIP>

Uh, Steve? Driveway sealing is not a scam. Especially if you live in a cold climate.
Besides, it looks good!
--
"I will jump five hundred feet
into block of cement!"

Guys who come to your house uncalled is generally a scam. Legit contractors do not make door-door calls.
But,hey,it's your money....Buyer beware,caveat emptor,and all that.
--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik-at-kua.net

I just had SBC come to my door. They were canvassing the neighborhood.
Saved me a BUNDLE!...over the next 2 years.
Have a nice week...
Trent

So you didn't really CARE if there was a law, Steve?

If you pay for the service...and its a fair price and the job gets done...why would you care where the money goes? How can this be considered a scam?
The same with the driveway sealers. Driveway sealing gets done a lot in my area. Fair price...work done properly...pay the bill.
Have a nice week...
Trent
I checked into the legal requirement and found none..
Additionally these punks were strong arming many to have the numbers painted and had no authority or connection with the SD Co. Fire and Rescue..
The expected at least $10 to do the number but insisted that any money over that amount went to the Fire Dept. Yoda, Yoda, Yoda. If your refused, they would remark something like "sure would be a shame if you had fire or emergency and the wouldn't be able to find your house"(because you don't have the numbers on the curb). Sounded almost like a threat.
I lived in a group of homes that all had prominate house number, plainly visable..
Steve

It's always a good idea to have a good visibility to your house number, BUT the fire and police (here in Phoenix) have GPS maps augmented with house number details, hydrant locations, etc.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Steve wrote:

You most likely won't find a requirement for house address numbers to be painted on the curb in just about any place in the U.S. However address numbers attached or painted on the house/unit itself are generally required.
--
Liam

It may be required, but not enforced. I was a Census taker for many houses without numbers, but I still found them. Many people love their privacy.
Phisherman wrote:

Not "often" enforced would have been a better choice of words.
In some jurisdictions (of CA at least) it actually is enforced. Albeit often overlooked, it is also commonly one of the items checked at a final inspection on a new house.
--
Liam

Here in WA state you have to have your house numbers posted even during construction so the building inspector (and later the tax assesor) can find your place.. You can't turn a shovel of dirt unit the inspector signs your ticket and it is posted (but first better post the house number so he can find you project).
BTW. I have no problem with that either..
Steve
Don't get me wrong.. I agree that uniformly located (curb) numbers would be of great benefit when a fire or police unit is dispatched. I would even go so far as to suggest that reflective paint and numbers would be even better..
However, I just object and refuse to be strong armed into a sloppy, non-durable numbering job, by hoodlums who are there only to take your money and then come back next year to rip you off again.
Steve