How to properly dispose of CFLs

Page 3 of 3
LouB wrote:

Bricks are the Einsteins of the building material world!

I generally leave recyclable stuff in my car (batteries, lights, plastic bags, etc) and whenever I happen to be at Home Depot I drop them off. Is that really so hard to do?

Yep but where I live the recycling is very limited. There is a convenient drop-off right in town but only for cans, aluminum cans, cardboard, news paper. I am keeping a coffee can for used batteries, dunno if they will take those or not. I alsohave a basement with a lot of E-scrap. That I can only get rid of by hauling to the next town (30 mile roundtrip) Somehow I always forget to load it up when I am going that ways.
Sure would be nice to have a spot for plastic recyclables.
Harry K

In our "green" city, to drop off batteries. there are tall, cylindrical receptables in the main library, the three (soon to be four) branch libraries, in the Y, in the Co-Op and probably other places I haven't checked yet.
Also, the City is preparing a new service to pick up toxic waste at domicile. It's only 2 mi. r/t for me to take toxic waste over to the recycling center, so I do it every few months ( don't accumulate much). Wbile there, I check out the paint shelves, where people drop off unwanted or semi-used paint; have scored some nice stuff. They are happy for people to take it.
Harry K, if you and your fellow townspeople would get together, I bet you could get the Powers That Be to establish a drop-off point less than 30 mi.r/t. Try it and let us know how it turns out.
HB
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:20:22 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

And what's the tradeoff of energy saved by the CFLs vs energy wasted by all those people making an average 20 mile round trip burning gas?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

People who would travel twenty miles to properly dispose of a defunct CFL would be riding bicycles. No gas involved.

Any idea how much energy is needed to raise the food necessary to ride the bicycle that 20 miles?

Hmm. At 6 calories per minute, and assuming 5 mph on a bicycle, one would burn, um, mumble-mumble, carry-the-three, ah, about 1400 calories. That's about three Big Macs (BM) without cheese. Assuming $3.50 per BM, that works out to be $10.50. But that includes profit.
Also, there's no cost that can be placed on the personal satisfaction that coming from saving the planet.

6 calories per minute is 360 calories per hour. That's fairly serious aerobic exertion that would get a bike moving more like 15-20 MPH, 24-25 MPH in the case of a time trialist in suitable clothing on a suitable bike. I would think around 15 MPH for most semi-casual cyclists, expending 480 calories over 20 miles, maybe 500. A BK Whopper has 510 calories without the usual mayo, 670 with.

Or one BK Double Whopper Value Meal with small fries and small sugared soda (1,430 calories), or - if you get the sandwich without mayo - the Double Whopper Value Meal with medium fries and sugared soda (1,470 calories). Either way sounds to me like close to $6 plus any sales tax.

On Feb 15, 9:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Do you ride, Don? Kind of sounds like you do.

Even if it's a few times the roughly 600 calories expended riding a bike 20 miles, that's equivalent to ballpark of a pint of gasoline.
For that matter, most people are out of shape and overweight, and should expend those calories and not replace all of them. Also, the exercise is good - there are benefits to getting exercise as opposed to doing nothing but eating less.

Don Klipstein wrote:

Sigh. Another example (along with CFLs) where someone is admonishing others to "do what's good for them."
Enough, already.

Admonishing? Try pointing out the obvious. I can only surmise why such a generalized softball statement would hit you in the gut...errr...sorry, upset you.
RicodJour wrote:

Yes, I thought he might end his post with: "Everybody understands that and that's what I'm trying to explain!"
But there is a solution to unsolicited advice:
When frail granny-ladies approach and start whacking me with their umbrellas while hissing "You godless communist! You can't smoke here !!!", I calmly reply "It's all right, madam. I'm French."

Keep dead CFLs lying around until you are heading towards their disposal site for other purposes. Next time you go to Home Depot, dump there all of your CFLs that croaked since the last time you went to HD with dead CFLs.

On Feb 14, 2:05pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

In my case that would be about 1 CFL a year or two. Just replaced one last week, can't recall when the last time was.
Harry K
Don Klipstein wrote:

Is that so you can get your deposit back?
I mean there must be a good reason...
On Feb 14, 10:12am, "Stormin Mormon"

You are assuming tht the only reason people make that trip is to drop off the recyclables. I suspect anyone old enough to drive knows how to combine trips.
Harry K
I'm gunna through them in the street to break them !We played with murcury in the 50's , didn't make me stupid,dunt tink sooo ?
Jerry
SMS wrote:

Of course there are. The author is not proposing sending dead CFLs to his congress-critter because he can't think where else to put them. It's just that the congress-critter is not in his living room at the time. I imagine the author is hoping for self-insertion.