How to price a wine rack (Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8")

I am scoping out buying a custom made or existing wine rack similar to the Kedco KM series 24"x 46 3/8" x 38 7/8" which is shown here:

I've already called Kedco who will be giving me a spec - but where do you guys go for second sourcing so you know if the price is right?
What should I expect to pay for two of these wine racks if I have them custom built?
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:08:40 +0000, Chuck Banshee wrote:

Here's a better picture closeup of the construction & materials:

And, this closer closeup shows how the wood cross member is shaped:

This shows what the entire rack would look like when done:

Any idea what this would cost to have built?

Good detail. This is a really specific design. It includes metal work. This type of thing is afforadble when mass produced but doing one-off it will be hard to find someone with the right skills and to get at a decent price.
I did my typical quick take off. I see about $250+ in materials 20+ hrs of wood and metal labor and I would round up to 30 to be sure. If I get $50 hr shop time + 30% profit I am at $2,275
Detail: Wood material = 18bf @ $6 per
Wood labor in hrs Prep wood 2 Rip wood     1 chamfer wood 2 End kerfs     2 Sand      2 Finish     4
Metal material    Guess $150
Metal labor cut metal        2 cut lap kerfs in metal    2 Prep and paint    2
Project completion Assemble        3
I think this is a SketchUp of the Kedco KM. I didn't open the download: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid17ff9dfcb9ab077329ac9b11a3ced9a
Sonny
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:13:02 -0800, Sonny wrote:

That looks pretty similar!
It's hard to tell for sure, since it's just a diagram.
Here's a side view:

And here's a front view:

The key is pricing out what it 'should' cost!
RE: Subject
Anything under $3K and you stole it.
Lew

I agree. (Double that maybe?)
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 11:49:23 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Thank you for the quick response and analysis. Your breakdown is a very good estimate. The finished cross members would be probably from a 5/4" and net out 1 1/16" x 1 1/16".
I'm concerned with the "x" cuts on the end of the pieces.
Here's a closup of the X cuts:

Here's another view of the x-cuts from overhead:
They need to be cut exact so they flush out with the metal. How would you make the cuts on the end of the pieces. Would you use a small table saw. Is that the best way or is it too dangerous to cut it standing up?
Also, someone suggested either anodized or powder coated aluminum. They feel that spray paint would eventually wear off.
Which way do you guys suggest?
Thanks for the help!

The X cuts would be easy with a tenoning jig or some similar dedicated hand built jig.
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:49:23 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote (in article

I agree with SP on his detailed breakdown. Nothing to the construction looks difficult, just very repetitive cuts. Fixtures for the crosscuts and batch slotting the metal would speed the process significantly although I think the metal work would take longer in the Prep-n-Paint stage.
-Bruce
On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 08:19:50 -0700, Bruce wrote:

I think the aluminum in the front is anodized (gold or black).
And, in the back, it's just metal wire cross members that are not visible from the front so they are NOT anodized.
I've never anodized anything. Do you think paint would stay on over time?

The plan is kind of vague. It looks more like a store bought than custom (to me) Most cabinet shops would be able to build this type of thing but not all would be interested in doing work like that. Find a smaller shop and you should be able to get a second price. Of course expect a custom version of a store bought type to be a 3x as much, et least.
Maybe look at http://www.wineracksamerica.com/ or some of the other 8,390,000 (literally) results from a Google "wine racks" search.
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:35:21 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

These photos are for a Kedco Brand called KM Series Wine Merchandiser.

Kedco should have a price quote for me by Monday. Do you have an idea of who can second source this exact model?
BTW, what wood does this look like to you?

I'm thinking it looks like Basswood stained to a Cherry color.
If I have it built myself, and since it's only about 18 BF, it might even pay to go with a different wood that has a darker/richer look. The better wood may offset the extra staining labor.
Any suggestions?