How to open this semi flush glass disk light fixture?

I have a light fixture in my bedroom that I have no idea how to open. It is basically a flattened disk, almost like a translucent glass pasta bowl, wi th no visible removable parts. The disk is mounted in a cylinder that's may be an inch tall which also has no visible removable parts.
Everything fits together smoothly. The only even slightly noticable feature is a dimple on the mounting piece, but I don't see any use for this.
I've tried twisting the two parts of the glass bowl to no effect. I've also tried twisting the glass off the mounting piece, but the clearance is so s hort that this is almost impossible. I've also tried twisting the whole lig ht, but that seems to be moving the wires in the ceiling which I don't want to torque. Similarly, I've tried gently pulling and that didn't work.
Has anyone seen a fixture like this? Any idea how to open it?
I'm not sure how to add images to these posts, so I uploaded a couple here:
http://imgur.com/syUPGdb http://imgur.com/4xTYWZ3

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:28:25 AM UTC-8, Steve F. wrote:

When I pull down, the whole thing (including the base) starts to pull away from the ceiling. It feels like I'm about to rip the whole thing out of the dry wall...
On 1/30/2014 12:35 PM, Ghazgkull wrote:

It could be that it is one piece. I have not messed around with that particular model. You stated that the base rotated. Can you see the lamp holder rotate with the base?

counterclockwize turn of several degrees, followed by a pull down. Some were nastier than others (and all were full of dead flies when she bought the house)

Your photo looks like the lamp in our kitchen, except that ours has no flat disk between the fixture and the curved light diffuser. Our diffuser removes by rotating, i.e. locks to the fixture by lugs like those that hold together the two halves of a smoke detector. When we installed it both my wife and I practised removing the diffuser, so either can replace bulbs when we need to.
If your fixture moves when you try to turn the diffuser, the fixture was probably improperly fastened to the cieling. It may be safer to pay for an electrician's house call.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:16:25 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Since this is not a binaries group you provided the images in the perfect way.
Now, as far as the disassembly of the fixture is concerned, if rotating the glass portion appears to rotate the complete fixture, the only logical solution seems to pull straight down harder than you already have. If the electrician installed everything correctly I would doubt you would pull the box through the drywall. But that could be a big "if."
Good luck.

+1 It is a can light, pull straight down.