How to make a revolving wall

Did anyone see that Budweiser commercial where the wall turns and on one side there is the refrigerator (full of Bud) and the other side just a chair and some pictures. I love that idea. I could use that in several ways in my house. For example. my computer desk. I'd love to be able to rotate it into the closet so when I have guests they dont mess with my computer. The last time we had a drinking party, the next day my computer was all screwed up. Ever since, I just shut off the breaker for that room, but it would be great to just rotate it away. It would be nice to have the refrig rotate from the kitchen to the living room too. How can a person make a wall rotate like that. I know thats just a commercial, but I do think this is possible. I suppose the floor, section of wall, and ceiling all have to rotate together and have a pivot in the center. Has anyone ever tried this sort of thing?
Thank U
snipped-for-privacy@dont.send.any.com wrote:

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

(what if someone tries to build a real fire?) and some of this is downright silly but I do enjoy the idea of clever or surprising elements/features in a house. This makes me think of my great grandmothers old farm house had stairs with lift-up tops (i.e. you could lift up the top and each step was a storage box). Those storage steps were forgotten and when they were opened after decades, the contents were time capsules with letters, old clothes and all sorts of wonderful junk. I was a kid then and was it was like finding treasure.
We have pondered on how to creatively use the "wasted space" in our house. We have a 1960s raised ranch with split entrance in front and back - there is substantial wasted space under the foyers and stairs (as well as space above the back stairs) that we think could be put to better use. And if it could be done cleverly, well so much the better.
Chris
chris jung wrote:

access for underneath storage, sort of like on the TV show The Monsters ?

I'm sure that the engineering could be worked-out, but I might place a focus on the strength of the staircase in normal use. The stairs might have to be very heavy in order to be sturdy enough for use as normal stairs, but hydraulic lifts could handle moving them. Beyond the Munsters similarity, though, I don't see the attraction for this complex and expensive item.
A hidden entry to a reinforced panic room that could also serve as a tornado/hurricane shelter might appeal to me. I'd go for a simple 'pull this book' switch and a cleverly-concealed entrance.
Modern architecture is exceptionally boring and we will go down in history as having been a dry spell for home design. Big barns with no particular appeal are the norm. Creative elements would spice up our uninspired houses significantly.
Luc
Lucid wrote:

so that a section of the wall would swing. It was for a secured and hidden gun rack. Richard
Lucid wrote:

so that a section of the wall would swing. It was for a secured and hidden gun rack. Richard

People don't buy homes anymore. They buy chunks of the housing market. Why should it be a surprise that the buildings involved look like commodities? That's what they ARE.
--Goedjn

Excellent. That is one of the coolest links I've seen posted on Usenet in years. I'm just glad that there is a company that does that kind of thing. If I win the lottery some day, I'll give them my business.
Luc

Yea is cool.
I've seen similar that could be done quite a bit less expensively. Built in's that slide on a rail like bypass doors. But I suppose a motor & obscure switch makes it even more impressive.

Damnit Now I want to see that site, but I got tired of all those flash ads and I removed flash player since there is no way to just shut it off. I wish sites would stop using flash. All I see is a black box on my screen.

FlashSwitch is a free utility that puts an icon in your systray to turn on an off flash. You can snag it at: http://www.flashswitch.com /
--
Peace,
BobJ

> I wish sites would stop using flash. All I see is a black box on my
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:48:41 GMT, "Marilyn & Bob"

Hey
This is GREAT........... Now I can keep it turned off unless I really want it. Some of these websites that have multiple flash ads were constantly crashing my computer. I can play one flash movie with no trouble, but more than one caused crashes. Even Ebay sellers are using those annoying flash ads these days. They're getting as bad as popups.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@dont.send.any.com wrote:

How about a long on password? That might even keep you out of your computer and protecting it during those drinking parties.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:35:19 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I did that once and forgot the password myself. The shut off circuit breaker works too. I have another idea. A rotating wall for my water heater. It's inside this tiny closet and is always near impossible to drain or do maintenance. I'd like to make it so the water heater can be brought to the outside to do maintenance and then rotated back into the closet. Rigging the pipes is what puzzles me.
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:10:40 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@dont.send.any.com wrote:

Given the pipes, I wouldn't do that. Instead, leave the water heater where it is and fix it up so you rotate the house.

Rotating the house would be a good idea when it's windy. That way the house could be rotated for the least amount of wind infiltration.
Simple solution..stop having parties or use a protective password.

When you have your party tonight, just shut the computer off. If you drunk buddies don't have anything better to do, just lay some forks around.... your electrical outlets...
In the 70s or early 80s my brother and roomate lived in a commercial space in San Francisco- sleeping quarters and bathroom were accessed behind a revolving or swinging bookcase, to hide from building inspectors. I never saw it. Don't recall if he built it- though he does do that sort of thing- he's long been involved in preserving the Giant Camera- which turns on bearings, and I remember him telling me that he had an extra set of bearings for it lying around for years.