How to locate ceiling heat elements?

Hello,
I have the need to drill a number of holes in a residential ceiling with ceiling heat (house built in early 70's in Oregon).
As I obviously do not want to drill into any of the elements, I need to know a method for locating the elements.
Thanks for any help with this,
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

There are inexpensive stud finders that will locate metallic objects.

or use a laser pointer heat gun, turn heat on, find and mark hot areas.
cooler areas will be safe

I think that your best bet is thermo imaging. There are a number of methods and devices to do this and some are pricey. I don't know if rental is an option. There are companies that do this and can provide photographs.

harbor freight has a 20 buck laser pointer thermoter. cant get much cheaper than that.
it shows exact hot spots.
Turn on the heat, then use a spray bottle with water to mist the area you want to check. it will dry quickest by the elements.

I use that technique when locating radiant heating elements in tile floors. Works well.
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:23:32 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

What about one of the little proximity testers for electricity? Turn the thing on and see if you get a pitch change near the wire.
Chris Hill wrote:

Nobody else asked, so I will- what do you need to drill all the holes for? You know you can't hang anything large from the ceiling, or you will get a cold spot underneath it? (I know, not supposed to happen, but I hung out a lot in a house that had ceiling heat, and it was noticeably cooler under the dining table.)
-- aem sends...