How to keep raccoons away

Page 2 of 7

Doug Kanter wrote:

Animal control capturing a coon in the daytime is NOT going to release it. It will be destroyed....unless someone is exposed...then it will be destroyed and the head sent to the lab to test for rabies.
amy <ex-animal control>

You may speak for the animal control where you worked but you do not speak for all animal control agencies. Our local control will release the animal several miles from its capture point.
Dick

Richard Cline wrote:

Are you telling me your animal control will release a racoon captured in the daytime?
amy

How do you know this - for sure? I'm not saying that this may not be the case somewhere but it sure would be the exception, plus being just plain stupid. Several miles from the capture point may be in my back yard and I (purely as an example) sure don't need any more coons who are into predation 'round these parts, plus the chance of importing various diseases such as scabies, parvo, rabies, etc. If you have a problem - deal with it - don't export it to another area for someone else to have to solve for you.
A retired game warden hunting buddy of mine used to get called out on road injured deer and every time there were yuppies and/or children involved he would tell them he was going to take the injured deer to the "deer hospital." Until they left the scene...
Skip
Skip & Christy Hensler THE ROCK GARDEN Newport, WA http://www.povn.com/rock /

right
raccoons
they
Correct. I was mixing two ideas in too large of a bowl. :-)
forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational for my 3 year old son.

@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

Why, to teach him how to make your problem someone else's? Whose problem do you intend to make these creatures? "Well, Junior, they're only a problem if they're in _our_ yard, so we'll take them 'out to the country' so someone else can deal with them" kind of thing, or what?

Maybe not in the way you intended. First of all check out your state and local regulations, it may be illegal to trap and release game animals. Second, even if it is legal, you are merely transferring your problem to another area for someone else to deal with, and can very well also transfer diseases such as parvo, rabies and scabies along with the coon. Third, in the long run it won't even matter 'cause a new population will move in to take over the void left by removing the current residents.
There are many (well, several anyway) ways to fence coons out of a garden; probably an electric offset wire around the bottom of the perimeter would be both the most animal and cost effective.
Check out both the web site and order their excellent fencing catalog for ideas.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/store/fencing.html
Skip
Skip & Christy Hensler THE ROCK GARDEN Newport, WA http://www.povn.com/rock /

To my knowlege, elect. fences are simply the only reliable technique. period. The only remotely secondary solution is to build a complete cage around things, and ... racoons are damn good at defeating stuff like that. Any garden/hardware store should have everything one needs.
Of course, this is just making the racoon someone else's problem... :-)
.max
--
the part of < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

I would not use an electric fence with a 3 year old kid in the house.

@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
wrote

and
transfer
in
garden;
would be

for
You've been watching too many movies. Farmers use electric fences all the time for livestock large & small. You haven't seen many electrocuted cows or pigs, have you? An electric fence produces a nasty tingle. We're not talking about a prison.

an electric fence is a non starter, period.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

the
cows or

talking
You're no fun.
that:

Given that the racoons are nocturnal you would only need to turn the fence on at night when presumably your 3yr old would be inside.
I can second the recommendation for Premier. Their customer reps are very helpful and knowledgable. I called when I was setting up fencing for our goats planning on getting a fancy combination of electric twine, HT wire, fiberglass line posts, metal corner t-posts and a solar-battery energizer. After asking what I wanted the fencing for their rep suggested electric netting, some plastic corner posts and an energizer with 9v alkaline battery. Saved me a bunch of money and I've been very happy with the system. Kevin Miller snipped-for-privacy@arg1cyhf.pbz (rot13) http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

You have just won a virtual cocktail for noticing something nobody else did. Place glass in CD-ROM drawer and hit: CTRL-M (for real beer - Molson) CTRL-B (for water - i.e.: Budweiser) CTRL-J (for Jack Daniels)
But what do I tell customer service if the cocktail holder breaks!?!? :)

http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

You see, my spouse would never agree to it no matter what physics based explanations I offer.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
(rot13)

Although I know the electric fence would not be a problem, your wife's opinion is understandable. The mother bear instinct is cool. I only wish human mothers would behave like bear mothers right down to the gory details. That would take care of SO many "people who should be eliminated", keeping George Carlin's criteria in mind as I say that. Based on these criteria, I can recall at least 3 idiots who would've had their faces & throats removed by my wife, when she felt our son was endangered. Sigh....sadly, she's a Unitarian. Too peaceful.
that:

I hear ya, but things do sometimes change. My wife would never agree to any kind of gun around, until she chased a fox away from her hen house. Then I discovered that our state laws were such that an air rifle was the only practical solution. Kevin Miller snipped-for-privacy@arg1cyhf.pbz (rot13) http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

Is it an ego thing, or is there some other reason you don't want to enlist your local animal control people? The process you're describing might be more educational than you think, but not for the right reasons. Your son might learn how boring it is to sit around holding your dick in an emergency room for 3 hours while they take care of victims of car crashes & gunshots.
You didn't say how large your garden is, but if the 'coons are attacking just a few things, you could try sprinkling cayenne powder on the leaves and the soil around those plants. Works great for keeping cats out of the garden, or from scratching furniture.