How to Insulate Attic Stairs

I want to insulate the area above the folding attic stairs in my house. I see several ways online, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. There seems to be differing opinions on what is best. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Joe V wrote:

They sell a lot of different products, some go into the hundreds of dollars. I just cut up a sheet of foil-faced rigid insulation to form a shallow box/cover and tape it together with fiberglass-reinforced strapping tape. Any type of foam attached to either the cap or attic floor will serve as a gasket. Unless you use the attic very frequently a hinged cover is unnecessary.
This site has instructions on how to install their product. By looking at how they do it you can get a lot of tips on how to do it your self. http://www.batticdoor.com/atticstairinsulator.html I've done it with 2' rigid polystyrene (blue board) glued together Richard
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

I just slid a sheet of insulation between the steps and the plywood "cover" with a bit of duct tape around the perimeter to hold it in place. I don't know how effective it is, but it was cheap and easy.