How to hang pictures on brick walls?

Page 2 of 2

Bill wrote:

<G> Actually, there are those 3M hangers with the Command adhesive tabs -- although the ones I've seen are more like coat hooks than picture hangers. I've used them from time to time.
Northe
Northe wrote:

An easy way would be to drill a hole at about a 15-degree angle downward into the wall where you want to hang the object going about 1-1/2 to 2 inches deep. Typically one can find carbide-tipped masonry bits that are as small as 1/8" since this is a popular size for attaching tackless carpet strips to concrete floors. Then insert a piece of piano wire or steel rod of the appropriate diameter (available at any hobby shop - it is used to form landing gear for RC planes)into the hole leaving enough protruding to hang the object. Later, when you change your mind, the remaining hole will be small enough (assuming you did a good job with the drilling) to easily patch with a bit of plaster and paint.
Of course when drilling into any wall one must first determine that there are no hidden problems at the drilling site -- wiring and pipes being the most common. Believe me, you really don't want to try repairing a puncture of either inside a solid wall.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
John McGaw wrote:

A great suggestion. I'll look into a 1/8" masonry drill. If the hole is small enough, and I'm relatively accurate with the angle, I just might be able to use a conventional brad and hanger -- perhaps with a matchstick to make sure the brad doesn't move. Regarding wiring/pipes in the wall, check and double check! I've got a multi-function stud/metal/electrical finder, and always use it when I'm going to do anything on any wall! It's very sensitive to electric fields from non-metallic cables -- but doesn't detect through metal conduit. However, I can detect the conduit or water pipe in most cases.
Northe
There is a very small diameter nail used by drop ceiling installers called a hard pin. They are made for nailing wall angle to plaster, brick, block, etc. These are not "masonry nails" as such. They are unique to the ceiling trade. I don't expect you would find them at the Borgs. Stop at any commercial ceiling/drywall supply house.
I looked, but could not find an example to show. These nails are about an inch long and smaller in diameter than a number 4 finish nail with a small head. They are plenty hard enough to drive in block and mortar..
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

fence, rather than on the wall of the house <g>.
Northe