How to hang pictures on brick walls?

Page 1 of 2

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.
Any alternate suggestions?
Northe (In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the norm)
At the local

It may sound a bit radical, but it's really not. When I moved into similar construction I was sure concrete nails would work; what a mess. The drill-and-screw method is actually the most efficient, does the least amount of damage, and holds the best. It's way easier than trying to pound into that stuff.
Or else you could paint murals directly on the walls. :-)
--svs
Brick-clips! These hold a lot of weight, and they are moveable ... you can take them off, and re-position them. They're sold at most home improvement stores and in catalogs. -- pj
At the local

It may sound a bit radical, but it's really not. When I moved into similar construction I was sure concrete nails would work; what a mess. The drill-and-screw method is actually the most efficient, does the least amount of damage, and holds the best. It's way easier than trying to pound into that stuff.
Or else you could paint murals directly on the walls. :-)
--svs
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:22:09 GMT, pj wrote:

They don't work on plaster over brick.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I appreciate your advice. Since there's no molding from which to hang wires, I'll try the screws. What I do want to investigate is whether there are some that are smaller in diameter than the ones I got at the hardware store.
Northe

Smaller in diameter? Why? How thick are the ones you initially saw or bought? Close to what screw size? #8? #10?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

3/16" -- after a quick look, they may be the smallest diameter available.
Northe

There's really no benefit in going smaller, if you think about it. If you're concerned about patching the hole in the future, what's the diff? 1/4 teaspoon of putty or 3/16 of a teaspoon? The bigger screws will allow you to use a little more torque during installation, which is a good thing.

I am not familiar with any other method.....other than possibly putting up some wood or something similiar outside the plaster and hanging anything to it rather than the brick.....but if you do end up using the screws and the wall is an exterior wall.......remember to use a sealant over the screw thread to properly seal it from any moisture , etc that might work its way in. Cheers,
Dean
avid_hiker wrote:

Check! Good suggestion!
Northe
Northe wrote:

Another alternative is it hang them for a wire attached at the ceiling so they are suspend.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I've used something like this: http://urlbee.com?11363 to hang christmas wreathes outside.
It fits inbetween the bricks, on the mortor joint. there is a toothed edge to hold onto the brick, and a spring that keeps it in place when you remove the weighted object.
Just works for me, so no clue if it will work for you. I think I got mine at Home Depot, or Lowes.
Good luck,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
Just Joshin wrote:

As someone else noted, I've got plaster over the bricks, so I'm not sure how I'd find the right places for them. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Northe

Glue on picture molding, and hang the frames with wire and hooks.
Goedjn wrote:

this house before we bought it, there were _lots_ of pictures on the walls, and they seemed to be on hooks/screws of some kind -- no picture molding. The sellers took their pictures, and agreed to take care of patching and repainting -- I can see some spots on the walls, but have no idea of what they used.
Northe

The hardware guy's recommendation is the best idea you'll find. If it's a pretty hefty picture, you should use more than one screw.
I've had great luck with the masonry screws. I forget the brand, but the screws are blue and the package includes the correct size masonry drill bit. I've put up some large, heavy framed old maps (the largest is 5' x 4' with heavy glass and frame) and they are solid and safe.
Vin - http://MenotomyMaps.com

OldRoads wrote:

Thanks! That is probably the simplest and tidyist method. As I noted elsewhere, I'll see what are the smallest diameter screws that I can find.
Northe

Liquid Nails. But be sure you really, really like the pictures.

Four strips of duct tape. You can paint it to be the frame.