How to fix ripped 6 mil vapor barrier

I'm putting up a vapor barrier for a outside facing wall. Some of the plastic ripped and I need to fix it.
What is a recommended tape to do this that will last a long time, not dry out/lose adhesion and provide a good seal?
Thanks, Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@blah.com wrote:

Staple another piece over the rip and make sure it extends well beyond the rip, or use some cellophane packing tape, not duct tape.

You can forget about ever getting a membership invite to the Possum Lodge!

They make tape for this exact purpose, it is red so the inspector knows you got the right stuff. Any building supply will have it.

Get some Tuck Tape, it's red and hard to miss.
PV
Tuck Tape is a brand like 3m. I have used Tuck Tape masking tape for painting since the 1950s, this is not the tape to use, use the tape specifically recommended for your purpose. Don't just depend on any tape with the brand name of Tuck Tape, even though DIY TV shows use this name as the recommended product.

snipped-for-privacy@blah.com wrote:

On the foundations we pour daily, we use standard duct tape to seal our 6mill and 10mil visqueen. With over 35,000 slabs and not one complaint from an inspector.

I would go to Home Depot and buy a roll of tape that's used to tape the seams in Tyvek house wrap. It sticks to anything and is not supposed to dry out and fall off. It's expensive though.
dickm