How to disconnect gas range from gas supply

HI,
My Kitchenaid gas stove/oven is having a problem working as a oven. It has electric igniters for the oven, one at the bottom for the main oven and one near the top for the broiler mode. When I put it in bake mode, the lower burners inside the oven are not lighting up. Broil is ok. The stoves are ok. I supect the igniter has burnt out and got a replacement on-line. The problem is how do I get access to the back of the stove to replace it?
I tried to move the stove. But it is connected to the gas supply line using a short flex pipe. I can not get enough space at the back to get in or work. Is it tricky to remove the felx tube from the stove and reattach it later. I can see it at the bottom of the stove when I take out the lower storage drawer. It is at the back of the unit. How do I shut of the gas supply? I need a long handled tool to access the supply valve at the back. It is at floor level.
I am fairly handy. Recently I have changed the water inlet valve of the diswahser and had installed a water filter under a sink before :-) I have found that water pipes are tricky, specially those with compression fittings. How tricky are the gas lines? Commen sense tells me they are far more dangerous!
Thanks for all your advice.
-Dipu
How you actually located the lower ignitor? The last few I replaced were accessible from inside the broiler drawer, via the front of the stove. Is it possible that you can get to the ignitor from the front? If not...
The flex pipe should detach from the stove with nothing more than a wrench. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.
As far as the shut-off for the stove, if you can't get to it, how about shutting off the house main and then doing the repair. While you're at it, install a longer flex pipe and consider relocating the shutoff for the stove so it is more accessible next time.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

When I changed my igniter recently I did it by removing the bottom panel of the oven, so I did not need to get to the back of the range, nor did I have to disconnect the gas. But that was in a Tappan.
Thanks for all your suggestions. The igniter wires go out through the back and then connects to the "circuit box" under the oven. I can see the connections when I take the bottom drawer out. But it is stuck somewhere and I can not remove it from the front. I have to open up the back panel to see where it is stuck.
-Dipu
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I suggest calling the gas company to turn off your gas for you instead of doing it yourself.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

This may have already occurred to you, so my apologies if so: the last time I had to disconnect a stove, it also had a short flex hose and I couldn't pull it out far enough to access the connection. I was, however, able to climb back into the space--just barely--and disconnect it that way. If you or someone you know is skinny enough, try it. (After all, someone got it connected in the first place.)
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really

Do you see the shut off valve? If not, call a plumber or gas fitter, have one installed. Next time it is a simple job to do.
Couple of correctly sized wrenches should have the tubing disconnected easily. You need two wrenches. One to hold the fitting, the other to loosen the nut.
Thanks to all the responders. I was able to fix the oven over the christmas weekend. When I removed the bottom drawer, I was able to get to the shutoff valve. Removing the flex pipe from the shutoff valve took some effort. But after that, replacing the burnt-out igniter was quite simple. I used pipe-dope and gas rated pipe tape before screwing the flex pipe back into the shutoff valve. The OSH guy suggested that I put the tape first and then put the dope over it. I checked with soap water. No bubbles. Hopefully it will stay that way :-)
Thanks again for all your suggestions.
-Dipu