How to cut tile in place on wall?

We are about to add some additional cabinest to our kitchen. This will require cutting off the upper 1/3 of the top row of tiles?
What is the best way to do this? 1. Cut the tiles in-place on the wall? If so, what is the right tool & technique to get a straight clean cut without breakage or chipping.
2. Remove the tiles and then cut? If so, what is the best way to remove the tiles without breaking? (I am not sure how they are mounted, but the kitchen was redone about 4 years ago by the previous homeowner and the tiles are 4x4 inch mounted vertically on the wall).
Basically, in my mind I am trying to figure out which is more of a risk: sloppy cut in-place vs. breaking tiles when removing them?
Thanks, Jeff
tape over the area to be cut. draw your level line on the tape. use a dremmel tool. i found this to work very well.
blueman wrote:

If there are a lot of them to cut, one way is to use a circ saw with a masonry (abrasive or diamond) blade. You can mount a wooden guide strip to keep the cut straight.
There will be a lot of dust to consider. Use a shop vac positioned right at the blade and cover everything you can with tarp, etc. Turn OFF the heating system. Wear mask and goggles no matter what method you decide upon.
Jim
Use a dry diamond blade on a skil saw, it will cut the tile like butter.
Have a helper use a vacuum to control the dust., use a HEPA filter in the vac.
Listen to Jim's suggestion about dusk & safety.
cheers Bob

My main concern is precision and neatness of the cut rather than the time it takes.
If so, would it be better to use a Dremel (with tile cutting bit) or Circ saw (with masonry blade)? (Assume in both cases I am using an edge guide to make the cut straight.)

Any suggestions on the right blade to use?

Is an "offset grinder" the same as an "angle grinder"? If so I have a (cheap) Harborfreight version which seems to work well, however, I am not sure my hands are steady enough to make an adequately straight line without a guide. Also, one little quiver or mistake and ...
That is why I was interested in either the rotary or circular saw approach using an edge guide.

I assume by "along a grout line" you mean parallel to the grout line -- i.e. you are cutting tile not grout
Also, would I be better off using my smaller (but cheaper and way less powerful) ~4" cordless Ryobi circular saw or using my larger and more powerful Port Cable 7.5" circular saw?
i.e. will I get better control with a smaller saw even if it is lower quality (presumably)?

Is that true even with an edge guide attachment?