how to bring tension back to garage door?

I am installing a garage door opener but when i finished installing the motor the door got stuck and would not go past 3/4 of the way. When I tried closing it it would not move, so then I looked at the door itself and figured out it was not even on both sides. The door would make a noise when opened manually before, as if there was a slight movement in the pulley or the mounting bracket on the right side. Then I realized that the mounting brackets were not all even and unscrewed them and straighten them. This helped with the noise but now the door was not closing properly --it was about 1 inch higher on one side-- so I decided to release some tension by unscrewing the pullyes and releasing some cable on the side that was higher and it helped. But I made the mistake of trying to "balance" the garage door. The tension is completely off the pulleys now and have a few 2x4 studs at the bottom to hold the door from completing shutting. I want to know if I should have the door opened heigher or if these 2 inches would bring the necessary tension to open the door smoothly again. Now is very heavy and would not open at all with one person pushing... I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Reply to
driss34

First, it would appear that you should consider hiring a pro. Working with garage doors can be dangerous. From your questions it would appear you don't have a good enough working knowledge of garage doors to do the job safely.

In any case the first step is to get the door working properly with out the opener attached in any way. Then attach and adjust the opener according to the installation instructions. It would appear, but it is not clear, that you are trying to correct the action of the door with the opener attached to it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My first advice is to agree with Joseph and suggest you get a pro, because this can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and you are going about it all wrong. If you followed the install instructions for the door, one of the first steps is to verify that the door moves freely and is close to balanced through it's movement range, BEFORE you install the opener.

You adjust the tension on the extension springs when the door is all the way up, not when it nearly closed. You get the door all the way up and then use a couple of channel locks or similar on the tracks to prevent it from coming back down. With it all the way up, you then fasten the cables so that there is some tension on the springs, starting with enough to keep the springs and cables snug. Then, the door has to be slowly lowered and see how it works. Then adjust again as needed. Depending on the door, this job may require 2 people for safety.

Before you do anything, make sure the springs have safety cables running through them. If you don't know what they are, again, I would call a pro. If the door slips or one of the springs lets go under tension, it can kill you.

Reply to
trader4

did the door work OK before the opener install? whens the last me the track rollers etc were lubed? DONT LUBE NOW, if you may call in a pro. makes a mess:(

if you dont have safety cables that run thru middle of springs do that first! Although if its a old door you may need new springs, espically if the coils areent all equal looking

Reply to
hallerb

Search the internet using google for "garage door" instructions

You will find installation intructions for a door just like yours with detailed instructions on exactly how to hang your door.

Reply to
Deke