How to board up your windows...

...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.

I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.

Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down and waterproof) is a clever thought.

Aside: I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that included sufficient ammunition...

Reply to
HeyBub

I would use the water in a washing machine for washing my face, body, dishes and silverware but I'm not going to drink it. There is enough detergent residue left in it to cause stomach upset if you drink it. Perhaps a large garbage bag as a liner for the washer to hold water and several in the bath tub to keep the water clean. The dishwasher safe is a cool idea. Perhaps some cheap decoy guns and ammunition for machine gun wielding government types to seize while your good real firearms remain hidden. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too many umlauts).

Reply to
HeyBub

Your fridge and freezer should already be packed with bottled water, as much as you can stuff in, put in a case at a time over the last few days so it had time to get cold without thawing out the freezer.

That is thermal mass, ice for your cooler and water to drink when they thaw.

Reply to
gfretwell

Try the pilsner next time...and turning some pages instead of bending your elbow.

RicodJour

If you boarded up the house right in the first place you wouldn't need to blast your way out when it was over. Most people would just turn the knob and open the door.

RicodJour

If you just spend the extra money for impact doors and windows you can skip all of that boarding up.

Reply to
gfretwell

HeyBub wrote the following:

Most gun owners have sufficient ammunition at all times.

Reply to
willshak

Voila is French and is pronounced vwahlah.

Reply to
willshak

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke. most dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with just a half inch screw holding it in place. The countertop is probably made up of partical board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

Shhh! Don't tell the crooks that!

RicodJour

And some. like mine, drop down a tad under the counter because the flooring only goes up to the cabinet fronts. Even with the screws out, it takes a little effort to pull it out.

Reply to
willshak

I'll say a prayer for you.

Dr. Rev. Daisy Mae Johnson "Bible Thumpin' Blonde"

Rev Daisy Mae Johnson

Don't worry, the storm surge from the advancing Hurricane is energetic enough to move the contents of the average kitchen around just fine... Your "waterproof" dishwasher "safe" might just as well be carried away out to sea...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Viola was my aunt.

Reply to
krw

I'm 500 feet above sea level, and if I travel in any direction from my house it is downhill. I have mountains between me and the Hudson River, which is well inland of the Atlantic at this location. Not only that, but a cold front is coming in from the NW which should arrive at the same time as the hurricane, or sooner, pushing it further out into the Atlantic. The weather channel is saying that we will have a tropical storm. If flood waters ever get as high as my house, someone better be building an Ark.

Reply to
willshak

Wonder if this is too subtle.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Er.... no German spelling involved.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

particle

board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It's not possible to kill a hurricane by shooting it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang