How to board up your windows...

Page 1 of 2
...and other stuff in advance of the hurricane.
I especially liked the idea of letting your washer fill, then shutting it off. Viola! Some gallons of potable water.
Too, putting your valuable stuff inside the dish washer (it's bolted down and waterproof) is a clever thought.
http://coalitionoftheswilling.net/?p 780
Aside: I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane-preparedness checklist that included sufficient ammunition...
On 8/26/2011 7:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I would use the water in a washing machine for washing my face, body, dishes and silverware but I'm not going to drink it. There is enough detergent residue left in it to cause stomach upset if you drink it. Perhaps a large garbage bag as a liner for the washer to hold water and several in the bath tub to keep the water clean. The dishwasher safe is a cool idea. Perhaps some cheap decoy guns and ammunition for machine gun wielding government types to seize while your good real firearms remain hidden. ^_^
TDD
Smitty Two wrote:

Thank you for the correction. I never was too good at German spelling (too many umlauts).

Try the pilsner next time...and turning some pages instead of bending your elbow.
HeyBub wrote the following:

Voila is French and is pronounced vwahlah.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The idea of the dishwater being "bolted" down is a joke. most dishwashers are screwed into the bottom of a countertop with just a half inch screw holding it in place. The countertop is probably made up of partical board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.
Robin

Shhh! Don't tell the crooks that!
rlz wrote the following:

And some. like mine, drop down a tad under the counter because the flooring only goes up to the cabinet fronts. Even with the screws out, it takes a little effort to pull it out.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Don't worry, the storm surge from the advancing Hurricane is energetic enough to move the contents of the average kitchen around just fine... Your "waterproof" dishwasher "safe" might just as well be carried away out to sea...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote the following:

I'm 500 feet above sea level, and if I travel in any direction from my house it is downhill. I have mountains between me and the Hudson River, which is well inland of the Atlantic at this location. Not only that, but a cold front is coming in from the NW which should arrive at the same time as the hurricane, or sooner, pushing it further out into the Atlantic. The weather channel is saying that we will have a tropical storm. If flood waters ever get as high as my house, someone better be building an Ark.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The people who need to worry about surge are in river bottom land, barrier islands and in low flat places like most of Florida. If you can get 26 feet ASL you are probably OK. New Orleans was the worst case, they were below sea level but you have the same issue in Lower Manhattan. You don't think about New York being below sea level but so much of it is below ground that they can have serious problems. All it would take is to have the entrances to the subway in the battery neighborhood go under water. They can handle a lot of water but I doubt they could handle being totally submerged, particularly if the power is out.

And as we approach the tenth anniversary of the towers being brought down, and to bring in an AHR angle, ISTR that checking and reinforcing the slurry wall perimeters of the WTC foundation footprint was one of the first things they did post-attack, lest the Hudson River fill the hole and the attached subway tunnels.
They still often find surprises when they dig holes in NYC. It is almost starting to be an old city, and it is only in recent decades that the 'as built' documentation is very complete.
--
aem sends...

Subway and all transit services are being halted in the greater NYC area well in advance of the real bad weather, precisely because of the inadequate infrastructure (as elsewhere). I think they really expect the subway tunnels to flood, as well as railyards, etc. I used to ride NJTransit into Hoboken or NYC, and from here the tracks go over a low bridge and along wetlands in direct connection with the ocean, running maybe 3 feet above the mean high water mark. I often wonder why they built those tracks that low, when they had to put them largely on piles anyway a few years back when the Secaucus interchange became operational.
It's getting grey and dark at the moment in North Jersey, but no rain or wind yet. Have to get the patio furniture in ...
--
Best regards
Han

You have to evacuate?

No, not at all, but those light aluminum chairs might fly in a hurricane, and I like my windows the way they are. see abpw.
Rain started about half an hour ago.
--
Best regards
Han

Yes, there are many layers (probably crossing over and over) of all kinds of utilities. Most should be really waterproofsince they are in ground, and surrounded by water, sewage, and steam lines.
--
Best regards
Han

I think much is indeed in conduits of some kind, but not tunnels one can crawl through.
--
Best regards
Han
aemeijers wrote:

Lord Balfour: "Why do you Jews have a fascination for Jerusalem? It's just another city."
Theodore Herzel: "With all respects, Prime Minister, Jerusalem was a thriving metropolis when London was a swamp."

I'll say a prayer for you.
Dr. Rev. Daisy Mae Johnson "Bible Thumpin' Blonde" http://www.landoverbaptist.org/thestaff/ladies/daisymae.html

particle
board, so when wet it will barely hold those screws.
HB