How to board up your windows...

Perhaps not but looters are easy pickings.

Reply to
krw

I thought it was a small pansy-shaped flower

Reply to
hrhofmann

The people who need to worry about surge are in river bottom land, barrier islands and in low flat places like most of Florida. If you can get 26 feet ASL you are probably OK. New Orleans was the worst case, they were below sea level but you have the same issue in Lower Manhattan. You don't think about New York being below sea level but so much of it is below ground that they can have serious problems. All it would take is to have the entrances to the subway in the battery neighborhood go under water. They can handle a lot of water but I doubt they could handle being totally submerged, particularly if the power is out.

Reply to
gfretwell

And as we approach the tenth anniversary of the towers being brought down, and to bring in an AHR angle, ISTR that checking and reinforcing the slurry wall perimeters of the WTC foundation footprint was one of the first things they did post-attack, lest the Hudson River fill the hole and the attached subway tunnels.

They still often find surprises when they dig holes in NYC. It is almost starting to be an old city, and it is only in recent decades that the 'as built' documentation is very complete.

Reply to
aemeijers

Subway and all transit services are being halted in the greater NYC area well in advance of the real bad weather, precisely because of the inadequate infrastructure (as elsewhere). I think they really expect the subway tunnels to flood, as well as railyards, etc. I used to ride NJTransit into Hoboken or NYC, and from here the tracks go over a low bridge and along wetlands in direct connection with the ocean, running maybe 3 feet above the mean high water mark. I often wonder why they built those tracks that low, when they had to put them largely on piles anyway a few years back when the Secaucus interchange became operational.

It's getting grey and dark at the moment in North Jersey, but no rain or wind yet. Have to get the patio furniture in ...

Reply to
Han

You have to evacuate?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:s72dnQMI4O7qbcXTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

No, not at all, but those light aluminum chairs might fly in a hurricane, and I like my windows the way they are. see abpw.

Rain started about half an hour ago.

Reply to
Han

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yes, there are many layers (probably crossing over and over) of all kinds of utilities. Most should be really waterproofsince they are in ground, and surrounded by water, sewage, and steam lines.

Reply to
Han

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I think much is indeed in conduits of some kind, but not tunnels one can crawl through.

Reply to
Han

Lord Balfour: "Why do you Jews have a fascination for Jerusalem? It's just another city."

Theodore Herzel: "With all respects, Prime Minister, Jerusalem was a thriving metropolis when London was a swamp."

Reply to
HeyBub