How to adjust oil furnace electrodes and flame?

Page 4 of 5
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:40:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

there may be permits and paperwork up the wazoo - but if there is no federal law explicitly saying you can NOT do it, and no state law saying you can NOT do it, and no municipal law saying you can NOT do it, and the only laws in place regulating it are (as it appears) workplace safety laws and environmental disposal laws, then a homeowner, not being bound by workplace safety laws, only needs to concern himself with disposal, so far as legalities are concerned.
He cannot pay a labourer to help with the job, and he cannot do it on a home he does not own. He WILL need disposal permits and/or need to meet the disposal requirements.
As far as safety is concerned, he will need to keep it wet, and it will be a very good idea to wear a good filtration mask, or even a fresh air respirator. It will be a good idea to wear disposable coverals to limit the transfer of asbestos dust from the worksite.
Asbestos is ONLY dangerous when airborn and if the dust is inhaled.
I worked with asbestos for years, and while many mechanics blew out the brake dust I always used a water hose and washed the dust out of the brakes.
As a child we would buy asbestos at the hardware store, mix it with plaster of paris, and use it as a modeling/sculpturing "clay" to build models.
The dust IS nasty - and care must be taken, but the whole asbestos abatement hullabaloo is a lot of government CYA. A lot of licenced burglary has been legitimized by some very suspect science - and several on this newsgroup have not only been taken in by it, they have become obsessed by it.
As for various ministries having conflicting laws, that's government. Get used to it. If you have the "opportunity" to deal with Transport Canada and the Ontario Department of Transport you will have a very good education as to how a government department should NOT be run as well as a classic example of not only the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, but the right thumb not knowing what the right index finger is doing (or that it even, in fact, exists)
If you take the time and find the person/persons who actually know something about what the laws say, what they mean, and how they are interpreted,it IS possible to get things done - and you CAN "fight city hall".
Those who say something cannot be done should get out of the way of those who have already done it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 11, 3:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks for clearing up what most of us already know. Of course that has zero to do with the issue. I provided you with many state EPA sites that outline the procedure for homeowners to use when removing asbestos. Any thinking person will realize that these EPA depts are not going to post detailed procedures for residents to follow if federal law makes it illegal for a homeowner to remove asbestos. Instead, they would simply post that per federal law, it's illegal and that would be the end of the story.
And once again, if it's illegal, then just provide the link to the federal law/regulation that states that. I've provided links that show the DIY procedure for various states. Why can't you? Oh, that's right, because it doesn't exist.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 04:43:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

What are you arguing with me for? I agree with you - gee, some guys can't read, or what?
Add pictures here
✖
✖
On Nov 11, 9:23 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

As usual, just more FUD. Of course the answer to that is yes. No one here suggested that a homeowner that removes asbestos doesn't have to follow the applicable regulations. That's why states have websites that outline the correct procedure for DIY. But that wasn't the issue now, was it? The issue was that some of you made the claim that it's illegal for a homeowner to remove asbestos in their own home.
I provided you the links to Washington, Delaware, Utah, NJ, etc, where they outline the procedure for homeowners. Certainly these state EPA organizations are aware of federal regulations and aren't going to outline a procedure for their DIY residents to follow for asbestos removal if it's illegal for homeowners under federal law to do so.
So either post the reference to the federal law/regulation to back up your claim, or at least stop spewing nonsense. And the scary thing is, some of you guys actually claim to be certified. I wonder what else you know so much about that is all wrong.
Add pictures here
✖
Don Ocean wrote:

As well as ANYONE who enters the confined space and becomes sick years later. And the worst is your homeowners insurance won't cover you either. Most liability insurance underwriters are excluding asbestos related lawsuits unless you purchase a specific policy for asbestos abatement.
rancid, you're such a fool
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖

Instead of paying an arm for asbestos removal you can do it safely, you just soak it with a hose until its completely wet and keep area wet, its of no harm wet.
Yes that's a brilliant idea!...NOT. As if playing at being an oil burner mechanic with no tools or training isn't bad enough now you suggest that he becomes an instant asbestos abatement technician. All that training and PPE(personal protective equipment) is so unnecessary. Just hose it down and put it in the trash can. All DIY'ers should get into asbestos removal! Maybe next he could try his hand at elevator repair or helicopter maintenance. It's not rocket surgery after all.
Add pictures here
✖
kool wrote:

Funny you mention Rocket surgery, I've met a Rocket Scientist and I'm not so sure of their mechanical ability either.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖
Zyp wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that. Even their failures go boom. How can you condemn a sport that leaves very little evidence that it was a failure?

Add pictures here
✖
Don Ocean wrote:

Ok Don;
You are right about the evidence. Although, that last little Columbia problem left plenty of evidence.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
✖
Zyp wrote:

That was coming down. The real kaboom sending it up was a booming success. ;-p

Add pictures here
✖

mr logic316 , obviously you've never spoken to a person with a real education and vocabulary , don't bother coming back with one of your semi-literate 'clever' comebacks , i'm done with you , regards , Jack
Add pictures here
✖
Logic316 wrote:

Take 12 weeks of evening oil burner service classes at your local tech school for a few hundred dollars, buy $600 in test equipment and then spend the next few decades *not* giving any business to the paranoid little twits you see responding to you from alt.hvac. It's too complicated to learn from a newsgroup post, but it certainly isn't brain surgery.
Add pictures here
✖
Logic316 posted for all of us...

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Add pictures here
✖

I have two CO detectors in the house, as well as a big old brick chimney with a strong draft. This boiler and chimney were originally designed for burning coal, so it operates on a draft system that is more than capable of venting out excess fumes. Besides, with oil heat you're going to smell the unburnt hydrocarbons long before the CO becomes a problem, that's why oil is relatively much more safe than natural gas. But I guess you knew that, right?
- Logic316
"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur." -- Vice President Al Gore, 9/22/97
Add pictures here
✖

Actually, your wrong on all counts... but I guess you knew that and are just trying to stir the pot.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:01:48 -0400, "Logic316"

You have two CO detectors and thats what you are banking you and your familys life on? You need to learn what those $30-$40 CO detectors really do and do detect. Read here www.coexperts.com Nope, I have nothing to do with them and I really dont care if you read it or purchase one. Its just good info. The fact that you think you are going to smell unburnt hydrocarbons before any CO becomes a problem is just plain scary. What happens at 2AM when you are in a sound sleep on a 0 degree night and your boiler soots up? Have you actually ever seen how fast a boiler and chimney can plug when an oil burner futzes up?? Ive seen plenty of them and its not pretty and it happens it literally minutes. You really need to buy a clue on what you are doing. Bubba

Add pictures here
✖

If you were talking about a relatively modern boiler (which operates on pressure rather than draft), I would understand what you mean. But apparently you don't realize how big the passages in my boiler are. Maybe you need to familiarize yourself with older heating equipment (circa 1945, it really is a beauty). I already mentioned that this monster used to be a COAL boiler, so the exhaust pipe and chimney are over a foot in diameter and the spaces within the heat exchanger are also quite large. I've have also been monitoring the way it runs every day, so there's no way it can just plug up without warning. Anyhow, I figured out the problem I was having with the flame being a bit too long and sooty. The electrodes did in fact need to be adjusted further away, and before I simply didn't let the furnace run long enough after changing nozzles. This time I let it run for a good half hour afterwards (and left the air intake band open all the way), and when I checked it after it got good and hot the flame was compact and smokeless. It's now just a matter of getting the perfect fuel/air ratio.........
- Logic316
"A diplomat thinks twice before saying nothing."
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:29:55 -0400, "Logic316"

Logic, You keep proving yourself logic-less. I dont care if your flue passages are a foot in diameter. Ive worked on shit 10 times older than that and a hell of a lot bigger. Ive worked on crap that has been around 80 -100 yrs I believe. It had doors on it where you crawl in it to clean it out. If it isnt burning right it plugs up.......simple as that. Ive also done old coal fired converted to oil boilers in residential. The old (donut cast iron boilers). It ALL plugs up if you dont know how to set it up. Last one was a 4 gal hr nozzle some old timer gave up on. I went out and tried to set it up to factory specs. HaHaHa. I couldnt have been any farther from correct. I finally got ahold of some old fart that used digital equipment. He kind of laughed at my attempt to set up this one to specs. First he upped the pump pressure till it almost screamed. Changed to a nozzle I hadnt seen, set the draft, make a couple tweaks and had it running awesome. Brought the efficiency numbers up and all. He was old and had seen a lot of shit. It was interesting to watch an old timer that had changed over to digital. You can buy instruments on ebay and read a book but you still wont have a clue. Bubba
Add pictures here
✖

Logic,
how about the baromentric damper? that might even out the ratio..
Mark
Add pictures here
✖