How to add gear oil

I just bought a used 17hp Yardman mower. It has an oil leak in the rear end and is making a bit of a grinding sound. Does anyone know how to add more gear oil or have any ideas on how to repair it?
Thanks very much,
Bob
On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:18:33 -0700, rdubuque wrote:

Unless you are good with a wrench, leave the repair to a qualified tech. If you want to take it on your own, arm yourself with service literature and rebuild it.
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
On May 16, 6:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

First find out why/where it's losing the oil It may be minor or major problem; e.g. a bad bearing and or oil seal. Oil seals etc. do wear out, normally over a period of years etc. Also did previous owners change oil and maintain unit as should? Then decide if you have the skills, tools and information to disssemble and replace. Disassembly may require new gaskets etc. When working on it it may be found that loss of oil has caused other components to fail. The grinding noise may be an indication of worn gearing; if so major repairs may be necessary. In which case mechanical skills most likely to be required. is the unit worth fixing? Cost of repairs etc.?
So many worthless replies. Somewhere around the large part of the rear end there will be a threaded plug. It may be on top with a dipstick, it may be on the side at the fill level. You may even have to remove some sheetmetal parts to get to it. The owners manual should point the direction. I know, I know, You don't have the owners manual. Then get one. Get online or with your dealer and get one. How do you know where to lube and maintain without it?
--
Steve Barker