how to

how can create a good website?

Reply to
mattjohnizuchijindu

Hire a good website designer.

Reply to
rbowman

Start by posting your question in a usenet group or forum related to designing websites, not a usenet group related to home repair.

Well, I guess a website could have a "home page", so maybe there's *some* relationship to this group.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It should be text only! No images, no video, no audio! Just black-and-white text... nothing fancy! ;)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

" Good " is highly subjective. .. you could use freeware to build it -

John T.

Reply to
hubops

....or learn how:

nb

Reply to
notbob

ESPECIALLY no fixed-width layout. A good web page adapts to the user's screen width, not requiring horizontal scrolling or wasting much of the screen.

Reply to
Sam E

That's only half of the game. I'm a fairly competent programmer but have zero artistic talent so any website I do tends to look like a steaming pile of crap. Tell me what you want it to look like and it'll get done but don't trust me to come up with a pleasing user experience on my own.

Reply to
rbowman

Buy a domain, first, then hire a good web designer.

Reply to
Muggles

Bootstrap

Reply to
Muggles

But I'd bet *your* websites actually have useful information presented in a logical manner. Most agency-designed websites today are just disorganized fluff!

Reply to
Terra Byte

A one point my boss came up with a list of the 20 best designed, most popular, or some other criteria and sent that around for inspiration. I wasn't inspired. At least Flash is on everyone's shit list.

Several websites I visit regularly are redesigned periodically. The trend is more graphics, less information. One I get a kick out of is The Local. They are honest at least. There's often a caption under the photos headlining the articles with words to the effect 'This photo is a stock item we found in the mens room and has absolutely nothing to do with the article.'

Reply to
rbowman

My bank (Chase) recently changed their account access website. It's not an improvement. But they just can't leave well enough alone. Got to keep their web folks busy.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The hardest thing about designing a website is getting the client to make up their mind what they want, and that includes, content, functionality, content, updates, and overall presence on the internet and search engines. If a website sucks, it's usually because the client keeps changing their minds in the development process.

Design is actually easy when a client knows what they want and can tell you.

Reply to
Muggles

Graphics tend to be what can catch the visitors eye, and site owners think it's cool. There really should be "some" graphics alongside the content, but what usually ends up on a website has to do with the client and what they think they want there. It usually isn't until the site has been up for a while that they realize they need more tweaks, and that'll happen on a regular basis, and should happen regularly, to keep up with how visitors needs change. I love a good re-design.

Reply to
Muggles

rbowman posted for all of us...

There is some brutal honesty here...