How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead

Page 1 of 2
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs, they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat anchor....
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 22, 9:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I have a 50 gal drum filled with scraps of copper wire. I can't even move that. I had to do it a bucket at time when I needed to move it to organize the junk shed a bit.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

94.6 lbs per gallon of lead. The barrel has some air and some steel - so my guess would be rougly 2 tons. - likely just a bit shy.
Add pictures here
✖

OOPS - I figured it as a 45 gallon drum - so likely just OVER 2 tons.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 22, 9:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

your free answer... about 3,000 to 4,000 lbs
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Well, assuming it were 55 Gallons of solid lead...
IIRC, lead weighs about 94.7 lbs/gal. Multiplied by 55 comes to 5,208.5 lbs, plus the weight of the drum.
The wheel weights won't be packed in nearly that dense, and most of them have steel rim clips occupying volume as well... there will be a several cubic inches of dirt and other misc spooge too. There always is...
So all said and done, your guess is as good as mine. I think if I needed a 'closeish' estimate, I might try filling & weighing some known volume container with weights, like maybe an empty gallon paint can or some such, and doing the math.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's really heavy... as a wild ass guess I bet it's 25 hundred pounds or there bouts...
Erik
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 05:25 snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

WTF are you anchoring - a frigate?
BTW - they should get it down to the metal scrapyard and weight it in - drinks are on them.
Rough calc - lets assume the lead weights are 50% lead and 50% air space:
And let's go metric because I cannot do physics in Imperial units...
55 US gallons = 0.208m3
Density of lead = 11340kg/m3, so at a packing ration of 50% air, lets say about 5500kg/m3
So they have about 1100kg, just over a ton.
Assuming the lead is clean and pure, weigh in scrap prices in the UK would net them at 90pence/kg (2013 prices) about 990 UKP which is about US$1500
Is this was Britain, they would have been robbed by pikeys by now!
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."
✖

Actually typical boat anchors don't rely on weight and are not made of lead. If they did rely on weight, the anchor would have to weigh in the range of weight of the boat. They instead rely on being pointed and digging in to the bottom.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday 23 January 2013 12:32 snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in alt.home.repair:

I knew that :->
I was just envisaging someone loading a 1-2 ton "anchor" onto their yacht and watching the fish through the newly formed "viewing portal" in the hull :-/
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

✖
Water is about 8.3 pounds per gallon. Lead is about 12 or 13 times as much. Tire weights, of course, have some air space.
Just for a quick, crude calculation. 55 x 8 x 10 = 4400, or about two tons.
Now, if lead is selling for a buck a pound..... (I'd have to call the recycle yard in the morning.) If you try to scoop out the wheel weights, consider wearing gloves and respirator. Lead is toxic.
How much would a 55 gallon metal drum filled with lead wheel weights weigh? A local service garage has filled one such barrel with all the old wheel weights they take off tires. I asked them what that weighs, they said they would like to know, because no one can even move it, much less get it on a scale. All I know is that it's a hell of a boat anchor....
Add pictures here
✖
I'm glad you read the latest EPA and health services reports. I missed that one. I'll get some tire weights for tomorrow's breakfast. I bet they sit like a rock in the bottom of my stomach?

Not with milk & sugar on it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/23/2013 9:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I googled to see scrap lead from wheel weights going for 57 cents/lb. Had been thinking about them for casting bullets.
Add pictures here
✖
Bullets? That's so ancient frontier. Why would anyone want a bullet, now days? We have 911 cell phones, and Obama is there to protect us from everything.
I knew a guy who used to melt wheel weights, and pour the metal into muffin tins, and taken in to sell. Seemed to think he got more money that way.
wrote in message
I googled to see scrap lead from wheel weights going for 57 cents/lb. Had been thinking about them for casting bullets.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/23/2013 12:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He got rid of the steel clips that way which probably accounted for a lower price per pound. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Right, the steel clips are worth a lot lower rate. One of the scale guys told him to just bring wheel weights. Cause they know the alloy. Ingots of melted metal, they aren't sure. He kept on melting. Sigh.
On 1/23/2013 12:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He got rid of the steel clips that way which probably accounted for a lower price per pound. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Wow... I'd have guessed wheel weight 'alloy' would consist of what ever showed up cheap, and/or was left over.
For example, the lead equivalent of the garbage rebar and barbell weights are made of.
Erik
Add pictures here
✖
The metal equivilant of cheap sausage.

Wow... I'd have guessed wheel weight 'alloy' would consist of what ever showed up cheap, and/or was left over.
For example, the lead equivalent of the garbage rebar and barbell weights are made of.
Erik
Add pictures here
✖

I see casting lead ingots at Midway for about $7-8/lb. Don't know what the steel clips weight in relationship to the wheel weight.
Reminded of a guy a few years ago when copper was way up had saved every bit of scrap from his reloading which was mostly spent primers. He said he made enough selling the scrap to buy a gun.
I cast bullets for my muzzle loaders and shotgun slugs. Both are pretty big chunks of lead. I see some of these bullets costing $1 each and slugs $1-2 each. For hunting needs, I have enough to last the rest of my life.
I buy cast pistol bullets on line. Shipping is not a big problem these days with those USPS one price boxes. It's fun to watch the mailman struggling with a 40 lb box of bullets that only cost about $13 to ship.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 23, 6:20 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

Yep, I worked in a scrap yard for a summer. Scrap is known as "dirty" e.g., "dirty aluminum, lead, etc" that is not cleaned of foriegn stuff. "Clean" scrap brings a higher price.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 01-23-2013 06:32, Stormin Mormon quoted:

Yeah, it would firmly anchor the boat to the bottom of the lake.
--
Wes Groleau

Ostracism: A practice of sticking your head in the sand.
✖