How much to put in a lawn

About to get CO for my new home and (of course) the I don't have a lawn yet. I want to hold back an amount equal to the cost of hiring someone to do it for me. I've got an acre with about 3/4 of an acre that will be lawn. Can anyone ballpark how much that would be? I guess someone would have to come in with a york rake and get the large stone/crud out and then seed it.

Get a couple of estimates from some local outfits and pick the highest one. That will add legitamacy to your claim and show dilegence on your part if the contractor is backing out on his obligation to provide your home a lawn.
York rake, scrape removal, topsoil, seed, straw... could be at least a few thousand. Your jaw might drop at the cost of the grass seed alone.

Between $200 and $5,000. Maybe more if grading is needed. Talk to a local pro as you did not give enough information as to what all is needed.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How much do you have? :)
On 26 Aug 2005 06:07:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Lots of "depends." You definately need to remove the stones. You could pay kids $3 per bucket of rocks. Take a few samples of soil to have them analyzed (~$20), and apply lime and fertilizer ($100) if needed. Till in two truckloads of compost ($200). Find out the kind of lawn grass that grows best in your area. Buy quality seed ($200) and straw ($50). You may need to buy a spreader, hose and sprinkler (~$100). Add all this up, and add $500 for labor to get a ballpark figure for a service company--perhaps $1000 to $1500 is about right.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

lawn
someone
will
Why in god's name would you want that much grass??? Have a football team in the house? Or a mower fetish? Aside from the work in maintaining it, planting that much monoculture creates close to zero quality habitat for anything other than lawn bugs and robins. Why not plant something native to the area that will require no work to maintain? No water, no fertilizer, no mowing-- and will replace some of the habitat your house has taken?
Huge lawns are a waste of space and resources.
-gus