how much should central AC run ?

Page 2 of 2
more likely that your home is "under-insulated"

Misters might help in this case, cooling the house as water evaporates and raising the latent load and heat transfer rate at the evaporator coil, esp if the house is airtight and hot and dry to begin with.
Nick
cowboy wrote:

I would tend to say all homes are under-insulated. :-)
In this case with a newish unit taking a good look at insulation and possible upgrades may be a very good approach, cheaper that hardware.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
You need to first ask yourself was the system working fine after they installed it or it just acting funny now???
I had a somewhat similar problem.
Last year I purchased a rheem high eff. central air system for my home. At first it worked pretty good. When the temps outside started to heat up the system wasnt performing well at all.
I took a temp reading at a few of the vents and noticed that it was only a 10 degree difference than the outside temp, oh no. (sort of explains why the system was on all the time and not really cooling the home)
I called up the installer and they measured the temp too. It was off.
Turns out there wasnt enough freon in the system in the first place. System ran day-n-night and couldnt keep up. They charged the system up and it was working great for the rest of the year.
This spring on the first warm day I decided to make sure the system was ok. Turns out the compressor wasnt turning over. I went through troubleshooting and found that the low pressure switch was tripped. I reset it and that didnt help. I called the installer and they found that there was NO freon in the system again. I almost went nutz (not in front of the tech though) Anywho... they did a leak check and found a pinhole leak in the system. They charged it up again and all is working well again.
So far so good.
I live in a 2000 square foot house in Hot, Humid Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I have a 2 ton heat pump with 4 KW strip heat. It does just fine.
The proper size for your house depends on YOUR house, climate, insulation, construction, glass area and direction and type, duct leakage, etc. It is possible that it is undersized but that can not be determined from here.
The temperature difference between the outside and inside is determined by your comfort level and your climate. Here in Myrtle Beach, we use 20 Degrees. IN death Valley you would Size for a lot more. The units are rated for ARI conditions. You should size them based on Manual J conditions. Your installing contractor should have done that. If you are not comfortable, he should make it right under warranty.
Did he seal your ducts?
Did he measure air flow?
Did he do a capacity check?
These are questions I would have for the installing contractor.
Stretch