How much of a toilet's power....

Page 3 of 3
the dip tube water distribuites thru the bowl rim.
note clogged bowl rims cause poor flushing

You can even flush it by pouring the water directly in the bowl. It won't be as effective as there is no "jet" directed into the siphon.
Harry K

to test a toilet that fails to flush well use a bucket:)
If the toilet flushes solids wel with a bucket the interior toilet passages are the problem
If a bucket fails to flush solids the drain is the problem.
toilet 101:)

NOT TRUE, the water going into the dip tube helps create the wave that flushes the bowl.

You mean the over-flow tube...try turning off the supply and see how much difference it makes. It's just a rinse of the bowl as long as the water is filling.

wrong, try relocating the dip tube feed water for awhile...... into the tank
solids wouldnt flush as well and the bowl water will tend to just swirl around.....
thats why clogged bowl rim water causes fushing troubles.
the extra bowl rim water actually causes a bit of a wave helping the flush.
a buddy of mine says i am a toiliteer. a degree in toilets:)
<stuff snipped>
a buddy of mine says i am a toiliteer. a degree in toilets:)
If the Rocketeer flew rockets, does a toileteer fly toilets? You're a toiletologist, PhD (Piled High & Deep). Sounds much classier!
-- Bobby G.

Now I remember what you're saying...there is a large opening right- front under the rim that helps "swirl" the water. Ok Professor Porcelain I'm with ya.

I have yet to find a diagram that calls anything a "dip tube".
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6888/toiletpartsdiagram05264.jpg

overflow tube and fill tube........
around here its called a dip tube

What sense does that make? Fill tube makes no sense either...it doesn't fill anything.

overflow tube and fill tube........
around here its called a dip tube ======== Perfect for a discussion of water heaters.

that's weird. I've never had those tubes going in the overflow and all mine work just fine. Having that water shoot in there is mostly unnecessary.
--
Steve Barker

NOT TRUE, the water going into the dip tube helps create the wave that flushes the bowl. ========== I'm thinking this is the right answer, and here's why. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a B&B with the girlfriend, and this place used a well & pump for its water. We were trying to fill the jacuzzi and noticed that even at peak pressure, the water flow was pathetic. It took almost 2 hours to fill the tub. Then, we discovered that the toilet was seriously weak, to the point of "Aw sonofabitch - where's the damn plunger, or a bucket." We mentioned this to the owner, who said "What?? Nobody else has mentioned this to me. Thank you!"
She's managing the place herself, so she'll be counting on a plumber to figure out the situation. Two other toilets in the building were equally weak. Weak, meaning you flush it once and if you're an experienced homeowner, you think "Uh oh. This is going to be trouble sometime in the next 24 hours." I didn't know what to tell her, but my first thought was that since they're all old style toilets, but not ancient, they couldn't ALL be stuffed, out of adjustment, or otherwise broken at the same time. Had to be the lame water pressure. But I don't know enough about well & pump systems.
If the water pressure's lame on a well & pump system, what do you do to remedy the situation? Some sort of tank?

Depends on the system. The well could feed a gravity tank, storage tank with a booster pump that supplies the house, directly supply the house if if's a shallow enough well, or have a small bladder tank. Each has it's own set of potential problems to troubleshoot.

If they had a submersible pump and pressure tank...they (she) would have plenty of pressure. It may be a shallow well pump or above ground pump that has to pump water down the pipe to push the water up an inner pipe (also limits the volume of water). I don't know the proper terms for these wells...but I have seen them in the "old days".

That's a "jet pump" system. A lot of shallow well pumps can be converted to one.
Harry K

might be a simple adjustment. but theres two seperate issues.
pressure is the instaneous highest pressure on a line, and flow the max number of gallons per hour.......
a poor flow, where the gallons per hour capacity is way too low, can lead to a low pressure.
anemic flows tend to cause this.....