How much hot water does a dishwasher use?

Page 2 of 3
1 teaspoon is all.
My Kitchen Aid just won`t start till its heated the water to its set temp and dishes are clean. So I imagine cold would work but I never tried it, It would be a good experiment.
Even with a built in internal dishwasher heater - Running a cold water pipe to a dishwasher is not advisable. Depending on the model it will either take excessive time to complete the wash cycle while the water heats up, or it will just plain not clean the dishes properly.
In a residential situation, usually one big hot water heater is better than two medium size ones. The point-of-use heaters are more expensive, trickier to install and adjust, and require venting to the outside (for the non-electic models). You may find that a single point-of-use may not be the most economical solution for one dishwasher.
Beachcomber
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

That is an interesting point - maybe I should contact Whirlpool to see if mine does that - it sounds like it does.
Hope no one flushes to toilet while the d/w is running! ;) :D
Models very greatly on water use. Call the manufacturer. I'm told some use as little as a couple of gallons. My guess is some models circulate the same water.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Yes - it has a electrode in it that glows. Does that mean I can just use cold water and it will heat it up to the proper temperature? Harry

Not advisable. It is to boost the temperature of already heated water to proper temperature and it does not heat it for every cycle so you'd have cold rinses. If you have a more efficient way of heating water than electricity, that is a cost factor also.
Hi Edwin - I guess I have too much time and money on my hands :-) I am retired. I bought a house about 90 feet long with two water heaters - one on each end. They are each 50 gallons each. All the pipes are in the slab. My problems - 1. I must wait 90 seconds before I have hot water in the bathrooms - they are served by a water heater 90 feet away through a 3/4 copper buried in the slab. 2. I am keeping 100 gallons of water heated for two people - in one day - we each shower at about 10 AM - then do one load of laundry at 11 AM - then do a load of dishes at 6 PM. That's it. 3. The second 50 gallon water heater - which is next to the bathroom - serves one thing - a clothes washer - isn't that stupid? Everything works fine. I just want to correct those problems. You will thing I am really nuts when I tell you I have a 20 x 40 x 8 swimming pool and a hot tub - heated by a 400,000 BTU gas heater. Long story - they were in the house when we bought it. Harry

Perfect candidate for the instnad point of use heater. Keeping that 100 gallons hot is costly and wasteful.
Harry Everhart wrote:

No. The heater is turned on for a fixed length of time depending on the cycle selected. The water will get as hot as it gets in that time. There is no thermostat.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The Magic Chef dishwasher we bought in 1977 had us asking the same question in later years; the factory wrote us back that there was never more than five quarts in the machine at any one time. I believe it had four water cycles, so it used five gallons per complete wash.
It still did a passable job of washing when we gave it away during our 2002 move; needed one bottom seal kit, one soaking of the motor bearings and shaft in oil after that, and one door seal kit its whole life. And we didn't know any better and ran it on the liquid detergent.
--
I miss my .signature.

Harry Everhart wrote:

Hi,
That doesn't narrow it down much :( Make, model#?? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Makes, models will vary from d/w to d/w. The use&care manual that came with the d/w may have the gallons per cycles used ( EG: rince and hold, Reg, Pots and pans, etc ).
in any case, its not all that much.
randy

Have you checked Consumer Reports? They sometimes give info like that. If you want to really know then unhook the drain tube and run a load into a couple of 5 gal buckets. Repeat for each of the different cycle options. Probably be interesting to do even if you did find the manufactures claims. Are you more concerned with just water usage or 'hot' water consumption? If I anticipate running out of hot water from showers and laundry etc., then I will run the dishwasher last. My DW will heat the incoming water with the heating elements if not hot enough.
Kevin

Hi Kevin - I am concerned about hot water only. I have two 50 gallons water heaters - one by kitchen - one on the other end of the house by laundry. The one in the kitchen serves two bathrooms 90 feet away. I know it is stupid - but I bought the house this way. I plan to put one new tankless water heater right next to the bathrooms and maybe run an insulated line up and over to the kitchen. The kitchen has a sink and dishwasher - that is all. I was thinking maybe an under sink water heater could serve the sink and dishwasher. I am just in the planning stage. I hate waiting 90 seconds for hot water in the bathrooms. :-) I also hate that I am heating 100 gallons all the time for two showers - a load of clothes - and a load of dishes daily. I know - I have too much time on my hands :-) Money is no object within reason. Also the utility company will give me $450 for each electric water heater I replace with a gas one. Harry

tankless have lots of downsides. your probably better off installing standard power vent gas tank units and add a recurcilate pump so you waste zero water. you puh a button when you need hot water and the pump turns on.
you have instant hot water when you turn it on
water heater manufacturers are moving to more fficent heaters, waiting a few months should get you the new more efficent design
Harry Everhart wrote:

I saw this info yesterday and it took me awhile to figure out where I saw it. Here it is:
http://tinyurl.com/4qzcr The info comes from: http://www.aquaamerica.com /
/J
--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm